Talk

Advanced search

DS Reception Report - I don't get it .............

(9 Posts)
Peanuts33 Fri 08-Jul-11 18:08:23

DS who is five and still cant really write but has picked up everything else fairly easily in reception, got a couple of 7's, three 8's and a couple of 9's in his reception report. Here's the bit I dont get, his teacher wrote that he is working below average in the class. Surely if he has got 8's and 9's he cant be below average can he unless he has a highly intelligent class?

Goblinchild Fri 08-Jul-11 18:10:04

What were the nines in? What did he score under 6 in?

Peanuts33 Fri 08-Jul-11 18:14:09

The 9s were in problem solving, reasoning and numbering, and personal social development. The 8s are in communication, language and literacy and knowledge and understanding of the world. 7's in everything else. Nothing below 7.

Goblinchild Fri 08-Jul-11 18:17:22

So he seems to have exceeded national average expectations across the board. Go in and ask her what she meant, she shouldn't be comparing him to his peers in class.

Peanuts33 Fri 08-Jul-11 18:21:22

Yes I am going to go and see his teacher. We got a note home with the report saying that they are going to put a note at the end of all reports from now on stating where they are in the class.

Teachermumof3 Fri 08-Jul-11 18:42:55

He would be working below average in the class if all those other children got 8s and 9s, I suppose!

You don't really want to know where he is compared to the others, but where he is compared to where he should be, I expect! Query it with the teacher.

morechocolate Fri 08-Jul-11 20:10:29

I agree that it shouldnt matter where a child is in the class and those scores indicate he is above average nationally. I have found that being bottom in a class where all the children appear above average has mattered hugely to my son and totally affected his confidence. School have not reported their positions but all the children are aware at such a young age.

Very shocked that school are going to report position in the class. Is this a state school?

coccyx Fri 08-Jul-11 20:17:59

How awful to send a note stating where they are in the class!!!!
They are 5 ffs

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 08-Jul-11 20:19:40

I'm glad that our school don't tell us where the children are in their class!

What are the numbers relating to? I've not yet had ds1's reception report.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now