Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can a teacher/headteacher put in an objection and refuse to accept a pupil into Reception class?

(9 Posts)
ceebeegeebies Fri 08-Jul-11 14:12:49

I am aware I am probably over-reacting but am now worrying about whether DC1's school can refuse to accept DC2 in a couple of years when they is due to start Reception.

Basically, DH and one of the Reception teachers have not seen eye to eye all year and ended up arguing in the playground last week (very mature and professional I know!) Anyway, although I think the blame is 50/50, DH did apologise yesterday although the teacher did not want to accept his apology and seemed to want to re-hash the argument again.

Anyway, apart from it being uncomfortable at drop-off/pick-ups for the next couple of weeks which I can handle, then we won't have to speak to her again....until DC2 starts in Reception in 2 years time. Am now worrying that either the teacher or via the headteacher will put in an objection to the council about DC2 being in the class and I obviously want my DC to be in the same school and I do not want to have to move DC1 from a school that they are very happy in.

Can this happen??

IndigoBell Fri 08-Jul-11 14:15:41

No, this can't happen.

Unless your DC has very severe SN........

TalkinPeace2 Fri 08-Jul-11 14:19:39

but they can ban your DH from entering the school grounds - somebody else would have to take your DCs to the class door
its been done a couple of times at DS school and defuses things to the mutual written apololgy stage remarkably fast.

Time your DH taught your DCs better lessons in self control though IMHO

josie2312 Fri 08-Jul-11 14:34:56

no they cant they have no input anymore regarding admissions to school but as above they can ban dh from entering the school grounds, maybe dh should go speak to head teacher regading the apology

ragged Fri 08-Jul-11 14:37:31

I have heard of parents banned from the school.
What was the argument about??

ceebeegeebies Fri 08-Jul-11 14:41:41

Thank you for reassuring me on the actual admissions.

I am not defending DH as he is fully aware he should not have behaved as he did, the teacher is not entirely blameless in the matter either - just a clash of personalities which isn't going to change (am sure it is not the first time it has happened in schools??).

I have no idea if the teacher has complained to the headteacher about it - they have certainly not said one way or the other and I assume that if they had, the HT would have been in touch with DH by now.

I think I can handle any attempts to ban DH from the school grounds etc - just really need reassurance that DC2 won't be refused acceptance at the school.

ceebeegeebies Fri 08-Jul-11 14:46:04

Ragged basically the teacher made a comment to a parent in front of everyone else that basically had implied criticism of every other parent apart from the one they were talking to. DH took offence to it (and was not the only parent who did by the way) and was telling me what the teacher had said (I was in a different part of the playground so hadn't heard) and the teacher overheard him criticise them whilst he was talking to me and confronted him about it.

Very petty really, and DH is right in that it was a private conversation between me and him, but as I said, DH has not taken to this teacher all year and vice versa.

clam Fri 08-Jul-11 19:58:34

The Head will have no input into admissions, rest easy about that.

But you say that you're not defending him, then say things like "clash of personalities," "not the first time it's happened in schools" (well, in 25 years of teaching I've not heard of it) and "not the only parent who took offence" etc...
Supposed "personality clashes" between a parent and teacher should not be an issue. She is there to teach your child, your job is to support her in doing so, for your DC's benefit. Neither of them should have got themselves into the ridiculous position of having a row on the playground.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 08-Jul-11 20:02:25

The other posters are right in saying that the school has no input into admissions.

You might find that by the time your dc2 is ready to start school, that teacher is no longer teaching the reception class.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now