Talk

Advanced search

Pros and cons of changing school?

(7 Posts)
mountainsmum Fri 08-Jul-11 10:41:57

Hello
Wonder if anyone, teachers or parents, has any advice inthe following:
DS1 is in year 4 at the local primary (about 200 children) and doing very well. DS2 is in year 2 and seems a bit in his brother's shadow and not as engaged with learning ( he doing Ok with recent grades ranging from 2c - writing to 3 maths but sometimes finds it hard to concentrate). Some friends have children at a much smaller village school (total about 30) and are very positive about the teaching environment.
Q - should we move DS2?
Is it worth the upheaval to maybe get him to a place where he's enjoying learning more? Am I fretting over an insignificance? What about when he moves up to secondary school, will the change from a very small to large school be more difficult? What about the friends he has now?

I'm fretting about trying to do the best for DS2 - don't want to make a mistake!

IndigoBell Fri 08-Jul-11 10:51:03

Changing schools is a good idea - if there is a problem with your current one.

Doesn't sound like there is much of a problem though.

I wouldn't change unless there was a significant problem with your current school.

drivinmecrazy Fri 08-Jul-11 10:53:53

Don't know but am in a similar situation with DD2 about to go into yr2. Her DS is about to start yr6 and has done so well at their school but DD2 is really struggling. We are begining to think a smaller school might suit DD2 better, but are in a real dilemma as to whether the benefits will out weigh the challenges of changing schools. We are giving the school another year to prove they can give DD2 what she needs (has major concentration and focus issues), after having a meeting with her class teacher and head. But we are thinking if we are going to change schools it may be easier when DD1 leave next July for secondary school.
Would love some one to give us a crystal ball so we can see which way to go, persevere with current school (and potentially fail DD2) or change and endanger the tenuous confidence she currently has. Wish I knew hmm

mountainsmum Fri 08-Jul-11 11:05:39

Thanks for both of those.

Really feel for you drivinmecrazy it sounds like a similar situation. I just wonder how much difference a school makes or whether there are things that I can do at home to help DS2 [probably].

But taking what you've both said together maybe another year to see how things go after a serious chat with the teacher is the way forward. smile

redskyatnight Fri 08-Jul-11 11:08:23

I'm not sure I'd change under your circumstances. Year 2 DS sounds very similar to yours. he's doing reasonably well academically but is easily distracted. I'm thinking this is a maturity thing and will get better as he gets older (he is much improved from Y1).

There are obvious downsides to me of having your DC in different schools, plus a potential "dip" as DS adjusts to the new school. Plus I'm wondering if this is a "grass being greener" type feeling and you may move him and find exactly the same issues.

drivinmecrazy Fri 08-Jul-11 11:09:48

I feel I have made the mistake of thinking that which suited DD1 would also be great for DD2. I sent DD2 to the same nursery whereas in hindsight their needs were very different, ditto with their primary schools. I am sure DD2 will do OK in their current school, but it is really niggling me that she may do better else where. Only time will tell. Isn't parenthood always filled with these conondrums, damned if you do and damned if you don't confused

Mumwithadragontattoo Fri 08-Jul-11 11:15:15

To me it sound like your DS2 is doing OK and will get better as he gets older. I expect that a school with only 30 pupils will be inevitably a bit limited in it's opportunities (especially in relation to social interaction). I would keep him at the current school but liaise with the teacher about how to bring out his learning style separate from DS1's successes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now