Talk

Advanced search

How can you tell if the class teacher isn't actually ... very good?

(19 Posts)
Loopymumsy Fri 08-Jul-11 06:33:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thriceaaka Fri 08-Jul-11 06:47:40

Are your kids happy in the class? Do they come home enthused about what's happening at school? If so, no worries.

thriceaaka Fri 08-Jul-11 06:49:27

PS Could you mention what the alarm bells are, or is it just a vague negativity about a two-teacher class?

blackeyedsusan Fri 08-Jul-11 07:41:07

lots of worksheets to fill in that are uninspiring, (there may be a lot if learning handwriting of course.) copying from the board a lot. slavishly following the reading scheme. unenthusiastic learners. teachers who won't listen to your concerns or fob you off.

(teachers ho don't kno ho to use capital letters? grin )

and blame the key board...

WoodRose Fri 08-Jul-11 08:28:49

teachers who give the impression that they are bored, disinterested and would rather be anywhere else on earth than in a classroom. It looks like DS may be getting one of these next year (Yr 5) sad

throckenholt Fri 08-Jul-11 08:34:22

one who realises there is a problem, applies the standard intervention and then doesn't bother to check if said intervention is relevant to the child.

We had this with one of ours. Intervention comprised of time working through an interactive computer program. My DC is not into computer games and it totally didn't engage him. He felt he was being punished for not being allowed to do what the others were doing during that time. Net result totally demoralised child who was not learning anything useful and a teacher who was blithely satisifed the the appropriate intervention was in place.

I think being a teacher is a thankless task with the current system of constant monitoring to prove you are doing a good job. And it must be well nigh impossible to actually have the mental space to check that each child is getting the approach they need. Those who manage it are beyond admiration.

Loopymumsy Fri 08-Jul-11 08:34:37

KATTT Fri 08-Jul-11 08:45:26

*Call your kid 'dumb and dumber'
*Hold their work up in class to ridicule it
*Answer their phone THREE times in 10 minutes at parents evening.

Even worse these were three different teachers and I could go on...

exoticfruits Fri 08-Jul-11 08:56:56

I agree with you first reply by thriceaaka-that tells you all you need to know.

badbadmummy Fri 08-Jul-11 08:59:06

A good way of finding out is to go in to the classroom and help if possible. You get to see the class 'in action' and it might be obvious if the children are on task, engaged in what they're doing and what the teacher/pupil relationship is like.

We have written off this year academically. Dds teacher smiles a lot, says what she's going to do and then does none of itsad However, dd has been happy and has made some lovely friends, so we've gone with it but we have talked to the head and insisted that she gets a more challenging/inspiring teacher next year who might actually teach her something! We'll see if it happens, I'd hate to have to change schools....

Bonsoir Fri 08-Jul-11 09:01:39

I don't agree that a happy, enthused child tells you all you need to know. It certainly doesn't tell you if your child is covering all the ground he/she needs to.

KATTT Fri 08-Jul-11 09:08:51

The thing is, what's going to happen even if you do find out she's a rubbish teacher?

You can complain to the head... but I suspect the head will already know if she's that bad. Teachers pretty much can't get sacked. (7 teachers sacked in the last decade I think). So even if the head doesn't close ranks and start getting defensive (or worse offensive!), even if the head tacitly admits there's a problem.. there's nothing that can be done.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 08-Jul-11 09:08:52

I knew one of my children's teachers wasn't very good when she struggled to say a single thing about them at parents' evening, and let me steer the conversation. She didn't give a shit, and it was really very obvious. Luckily, she was part of a job share and the other teacher was very on the ball and, I think, managed to keep on top of everything.

Try to form a relationship with the teacher you're worried about, so if problems do arise you will find it easier to approach them.

throckenholt Fri 08-Jul-11 09:12:13

another sign - when they tell you about what the whole class (or other children in the class) have been doing at parents evening but hardly mentions your own child.

Agree there isn't much you can do about it - either move schools and hope for better, or grin and bear it for the year (hopefully not more) and hope it doesn't cause any permanent damage.

If the head it approachable then asking what they are doing to support the teacher might be possible.

IndigoBell Fri 08-Jul-11 09:27:02

I don't think you can tell till after it's too late - ie they're not very good if your child fails to learn anything.

But, unless you are actually prepared to move school it's pretty irrelevant.

And if you are prepared to move school, it shouldn't be over one part time teacher........

I would try to get more info from the parent gov about her advice to complain - do the govs want complaints so that they have enough evidence to fire her?

Loopymumsy Fri 08-Jul-11 10:06:36

throckenholt Fri 08-Jul-11 10:34:34

at least if it is a job share then they get a good teacher for part of the week - so the other part is relatively less important than if it was only the one teacher.

blackeyedsusan Fri 08-Jul-11 12:56:41

hat did they fob you off about?

blackeyedsusan Fri 08-Jul-11 12:57:01

wwwwwwwww what grrrrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now