Talk

Advanced search

I am absolutely sick of my sons' school this week.

(16 Posts)
colditz Thu 07-Jul-11 22:44:47

Monday - Pizza for school lunch. Ds2 not given his inhalers when I asked staff to give them to him. He's five, in reception, he won't remember. He had an asthma attack on the way home.

Tuesday - Chicken nuggets, rice and carrots for school lunch....afternoon, I notice a patch of woody nightshade in the reception area children's garden (specifically for them to play in), I inform teacher about highly toxic plant. I ask her to make sure plant is dealt with.

Wednesday - Pizza (again) for school lunch. Morning. Plant still there. I speak to headmaster, point out plant, tell him it is fatally toxic to a child who eats any part of it, especially the temptingly shiny red berries. He promises to 'look into it'. Afternoon, plant still there, I point out again to class teacher and ask what is being done about it - she doesn't know. Early evening - I ring school armed with plant's latin name, tell school secretary that children will not be attending school until the plant is removed. Secretary rings back 20 minutes later, plant is now dug up (of course, head master is in thrall to attendance figures)
Wedneday evening. School concert, very very good, But did not finish until 9.45. After collecting children and walking home, it's now 10.30pm. Give children supper and put to bed - 11pm.

Thursday - 9.20 phone call from school - "Where are ColditzBoys?" Inform secretary that colditzboy2 will be fit for nothing until 10 hours sleep has been obtained as he is FIVE YEARS OLD. Take children in an hour after Ds2 wakes up, so 11 am. Only half school's children in attendance, and present children clearly knackered. School concert again children brought home by their father 14 minutes ago, ravenous, hyperactive and exhausted.

I am Displeased.

blackeyedsusan Thu 07-Jul-11 22:55:01

day off tomorrow then. write it in an official letter that is kept in the register...

mo3d Thu 07-Jul-11 22:57:45

Goodness, sounds like the school has got some organising to do!

colditz Thu 07-Jul-11 22:58:56

Oh, and I should add that they were brought back COLD as they weren't allowed to fetch their fleeces from the classroom, and my house is a 30 minute walk from the school.

Feenie Thu 07-Jul-11 23:00:01

I woul be Displeased too. Complain!

aries12 Thu 07-Jul-11 23:04:15

I am sure the teachers and Head teacher really appreciate your contributions...you have a valid point about the late nights...too late for young children. There is a lot going on in schools this week. I am just being selective and my Dd is not attending everything. Summer fayre/concert evening/school disco/sports day...all in one week...too much in my opinion for Key satge 1 children.
As for the food choices...that's pretty much what is available in a lot of schools.

colditz Thu 07-Jul-11 23:14:11

they don't appreciate my contributions, or they'd have tried a little earlier to remove possibly the Uk's most toxic plant from the 4 year olds' play area. As it was, the headmaster 'assured' me that the caretaker planted it and therefore it was safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GypsyMoth Thu 07-Jul-11 23:48:47

Well done on spotting the plant! I would be clueless.

MotherJack Fri 08-Jul-11 00:00:37

The concert things seem to be a bugbear in most schools. In DS's school the Primary kids do the nativity and the Junior kids do the summer play. Christmas just gone they decided to only do an afternoon performance of the nativity as some of the kids were still 4 years old and the evening play didn't finish til 7.30. Some parents actually complained as it meant the dads and older siblings wouldn't get to see them.

Whoopidoo. It meant they didn't get to see them yawning their heads off and being totally horrendous for the next day as they were so tired. It's not like they missed the kid's lead in Othello or anything, but in all honesty they must have thought it was up there with it.

skybluepearl Fri 08-Jul-11 10:28:59

Gosh that is late to bed! Why was the performance organised so late at night? My school allows late starts of 10 for infant aged pupils after performances. The food is vile too. Can you write and complain?

mummytime Fri 08-Jul-11 10:35:51

My kids school has late starts after late finishes, but Infant performances are during the school day, and kids on rotation for performances until years 5 and 6. Food sounds rubbish, but is this just end of term, or normal for most weeks?
I would issues a written complaint about the inhaler.
As to the plant - well I can understand it getting past, but to be honest I would have probably: pulled it up and then presented it to the head with a note about what it was, and suggest they inspect their grounds.

Takver Fri 08-Jul-11 12:18:06

I totally sympathise about the concert. DH was blush blush when dd then age 5 went up to the headteacher as he was leaving a school concert with her and very loudly said "Do we have to finish so late, I usually go to bed at 8 o'clock, I wish I was asleep now"

But. . .I have to say that since then they have had the reception/yr 1 children performing at the start of the concert and given parents the option to take them home once they've finished their section grin

(I'm not a heartless mum - there were 2 performances and I was lucky not to hit that day!)

curtaincall Fri 08-Jul-11 14:24:29

Shocking about every aspect of this. I'm going to look up nightshade as I also wouldn't have spotted this so well done on that score. I would have taken a photo and sent it with your observations to the governors before pulling it up. Seems like this school is guilty of contributory negligence. Is there a proper school nearby you can move your Dcs to ?

RollingInTheAisles Fri 08-Jul-11 21:14:31

This is a total hijack but you've got me worried that we have nightshade in my garden but I'm struggling to tell from google. Is this it?

MotherJack Fri 08-Jul-11 23:42:07

Woody nightshade has a purple flower with a bright yellow centre at this time of year - yours looks like a not very well Skimmia, Rolling. All parts of this plant are also toxic, but only when large amounts are eaten is it a problem. Death by woody nightshade is rare, just as death by eating most plants is rare (it's deathly nightshade you need to be careful of, which is very rare and looks nothing like woody nightshade and def nothing like your sickly skimmia!). I think you could say the same of loads of plants in the garden... they are not that good for you and so you need to enforce the "no eating the plants" rule (but I do agree that as a general rule, schools should remove toxic plants from their grounds).

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Fri 08-Jul-11 23:48:51

I hate the end of summer term

my kids finished wednasday because I decided they weren't going in on thrusday and today

I knw what they will be doing , I dont mind but I dont thinkt hey need to be there

also with the dog going on saturday I decided it was more important for them to spend time with their dog before he goes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now