Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Year 2 - worried DD will struggle

(8 Posts)
FallenAngel22 Thu 07-Jul-11 20:21:41

I've posted on here before about the ongoing problems we've had with DD's year 1 teacher. Well, since March when we had a meeting with her and the head, things have improved on the whole. So much so that DD (nor I) want to move to a new teacher in September! DD is August born and has struggled to keep up with her peers, although her concentration leaves alot to be desired!

I really wish she could repeat year 1, especially when she's only 2 and a half weeks away from it. She's in an independent school so I know we could do this but I know at some point in the future she'd have to go back into her relevant year group.

We had a meet the new teacher event last week and Year 2 seems so much more structured both in the classroom and homework. They've not done much homework in year 1 apart from spellings and reading, but it seems they will be getting daily homework from October half term!! Her new teacher seems fine, but I can't help but worry she will struggle. I know it's my problem as DD absolutely adores school and being nearly 6, doesn't really worry whether or not she can do the work!

I'm such a flake - I just want her to stay with the teacher that finally knows her really well. It took till March this year for her to call the teacher Mrs X instead of "the teacher" and I hope we don't have the same issue this year. Incidentally her reception teacher was fab so I don't really anticipate any problems but you never know.

Think I'm just feeling emotional at the end of a long and involved year 1 with DD and her school.

Any advice from current/past Year 2 parents??

countydurhamlass Thu 07-Jul-11 20:51:37

my ds is in year 2 now and has mild learning difficulties so struggles but his teacher is really good and the school have been fantastic. i have the same concerns as you every year! this year my ds only gets homework twice a week, spellings on a monday to be tested on a friday and then on a friday he has some little project to do or something to read specifically etc. he also brings his reading book home every night.

there wasnt much difference going from yr 1 to yr 2 and the school have said yr 3 is when it all changes and becomes a lot more formal (he will really struggle at that point)

i would ask to have a meeting with the headteacher, her current teacher and her new teacher so that you can express your concerns and discuss the problems that have occured this year, how they were overcome and what provisions might be put in place for next year for your dd. if there are any particular areas you are concerned about ask if there are any worksheets etc you could have to do with your dd over the summer to help her catch up or that will stand her in good stead for yr2

DeWe Thu 07-Jul-11 21:07:31

If I was you I'd sit down and make a list of what would be good about staying down, and what would be bad.
Has she got friends in her own class? Will she be teased for staying down? WIll she find it much harder to go up after two years with the same teacher? What would she feel about it? She may not want to leave her teacher (we have this every year with both my daughters) but it doesn't necessarily mean she wants to stay there while the rest of the class go on.

I second the not much difference between y1 and y2. Go and talk to them about it.

mungogerry Thu 07-Jul-11 21:22:51

Another who thinks there is not much difference between Y1 and Y2.

Although DAILY homework alarms me greatly!

mummytime Thu 07-Jul-11 21:32:45

A good teacher should be able to cope with a wide range of abilities. Surely your daughter will not be the only child who has suffered because of the present teacher?
There is a lot of research against holding pupils back a year (it can be like shouting at a deaf person, and destroy their confidence). In the UK if they are held back they may well have to jump a year back into their normal age year later on.

Don't panic! Being in the correct year is the best way to get help.

FallenAngel22 Thu 07-Jul-11 21:49:35

Thank you all. Great idea too to make a list of pros and cons. All her friends that she was in the nursery class are moving up and I know she would hate to stay behind.

Good to hear too that there's not much difference in Year 1 and 2.

I have spoken to her teacher today who was really lovely and complimentary and said she would do well, they phase the work in etc.

Guess I need to chill out and think about what's best for DD and not me blush

mummytime Fri 08-Jul-11 06:22:21

Oh one word of encouragement. Kids do catch up and reach their own level.

We recently had a friend around with his 16 year old daughter. When this girl was about 5/6 she changed from a private to a state school as it was noticed she had some learning difficulties. She did go on to struggle through primary school, but now at 16 she is waiting nervously to get her GCSE results, planning on staying on in sixth form and then go to university to study art. She is also a charming and poised young lady.

thriceaaka Fri 08-Jul-11 06:55:03

Stop worrying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now