So...has she got a place??(12 Posts)
I am moving and so called the council yesterday to ask if there was a place for DD in year 3 in Sept...."Yes there are places" was the reply...they then asked me to put her details and our request in an email so it was official and they would then send me a letter of confirmation "unless circumstances changed"
So I caled the school to let them know nd they were lovely...suggested we visit next week or before the 20th when the school breaks for Summer...but to wait for my letter before I dd it.
So I just called the council again today and asked if I would be getting the leter before the 20th and they said it takes "up to" 10 school days to process but could be sooner...they would do their best to get it to me before the 20th but could not confirm any place as of yet as it's not policy on the phone.
Now I am all anxious!
That is just policy, and you won't be able to get round it. But fwiw you are very likely to have a place.
Must be nerve wracking - can you go in and see them? They might be a bit more sympathetic face to face.
Do you think so? When I called originally, I aked about other schools and they were mot clear in telling me that they had long waiting lists...but when I mentioned the village school they said "They have places"
Plus surely the school would have told me they were full up?
No Smee...we're talking the LEA....they're a massive council dept...not really equipped for visitors.
if i were you i would phone the admissions team every day, we have just recently visited a school that we are hoping our daughter will get into she is 4th on the waiting list, they were fine about us looking round even though we have not been given a place as of yet, give the school another call and just say you would like to have a look at the school before you decide thats where you want them to go x
I am amazed that the admission office told you over the phone that there were places etc. The school is entirely right in saying wait until you get the official letter.
When you send the form in the admission office will check the form, especially the date of birth to check which year group we are talking about and then check with the school what the current situation is in that year group. Only then will they confirm in writing that you have been allocated a place.
There have been a number of mistakes made when confirming places or not over the phone that have caused a lot of problems, so many LAs will not confirm over the phone until after they have sent the letter.
Whether 10 days is acceptable is I think another question. To me checking a form, talking with the school and printing out a standard letter does not seem a great deal of work and no way should be taking ten days.
They checked a number of schools on the system whilst I was on the phone admission I have had dealings with them before when we nearly moved and they are very helpful...theyve always informd me where there are places and where there are not.
They wouldn't confirm on the phone that Ihad a place...only that there were "places available".
It's a rural school...maybe we don't have such a scrum here. To be fair on them they did say that it could be UP to ten days at worst...then said "but sooner is probable"
josie we've already been around the school and are very happy with it. I couldn't wait so long for one of the others DD is on the list for..we've been either 2nd or 3rd on one particular list for 3 years! It never moves...I wouldn't hold out too much hope if I were 4th...unless the scchool have a very mobile population.
Also why are you amazed theytold me there were places Admissions? It's not top secret info is it?
i certainly got that sort of information out of admissions - they would tell me where dd was on the waiting list, and also told me that a place had been offered to someone above us on the list once. You do need to ring often - and be nice but persistent.
Yes swash...there's nothing secret about it all is there? If there are placces available then there are! And ours also tell me where I am on lists...they had no bother letting me know there were places in the school we want...and more than one too....it's only red tape I think which won't allow them to say anything officially...hey told me they have to speak to the school too...and this will be to make sure they're happy to have another child...whch they are as I have spoken to them too!
I think I am just worrying!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.