Talk

Advanced search

Same school, 3 different uniforms?

(6 Posts)
BitsyVonMuffling Thu 07-Jul-11 14:17:38

Has anyone else encountered this? Ds is going to junior school in september, from his infant school down the road. It is kind of the same school but different buildings iyswim? We have been informed this morning that a new uniform is coming in this september. We all knew this, as the junior school has a slightly different uniform anyway. But we have been told that the uniform we'll be shellignout for is only for year 3 and 4, and a whole new one has to be brought for years 5 and 6, totally different jumpers and trousers. AIBU to be incredibly cross about this Uniform is expensive and it just seems a needless waste. A lot of parents are going to be feeling the pinch anyway, as those with older dc will have to shell out for uniform as the old stuff can't be passed down. I spoke to the headmistress this morning who said most people buy new uniform every year anyway hmm

Lancelottie Thu 07-Jul-11 14:26:42

New uniform every year? Who is she kidding? You hand it down, borrow off a mate and keep in the oh-god-nothing-clean drawer, surely?

DS1 is 15. His uniform changed mid-year 7 from yellow to grey shirts, though we were told just to buy new as they grew. He is very proud to demonstrate that he can still get away with his sole remaining yellow one as he hasn't quite outgrown it yet though it looks pretty silly.

rebl Thu 07-Jul-11 14:27:05

The uniform is for 2 years, even if your child doesn't grow much in the 1st year of wearing it they're certainly going to grow in the 2nd year of wearing it so you're not going to get a 3rd and 4th year wear out of it so in reality what the head has said is right.

And if you child doesn't grow in 2 years I would be more concerned about that than uniform grin.

Lancelottie Thu 07-Jul-11 14:28:28

Yes, but what the bloody kid will do is to grow hugely in the summer term of yr 4, before you hve a choice to buy the next size up in the new colour.

BitsyVonMuffling Thu 07-Jul-11 14:30:15

You would think that rebl, but my ds is tiny. And tbh this is not a school in a wealthy area. It's in the middle of a large council estate and I'm not the only one who is going to struggle when the time comes to replace the whole set of uniform. Replacing as and when needed is something we all expect. But to have to buy a completely new set of everything after just 2 years? Can they really not see the problem?

HauntedLittleLunatic Thu 07-Jul-11 14:37:05

Our school has 3 different uniforms - although it is only the jumper which changes.

Not an issue. You could hand down if you wanted in most instances because most yr5/6 uniform won't fit yr3/4 anyway - although there are obviously exceptions.

My kids (with the exception of a lost jumper) have had uniform which lasts the 2 years - with the exception of trousers which they have grown out of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now