Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best school water bottle that small child can open

(33 Posts)
TheCoolWeb Thu 07-Jul-11 10:53:38

Simple question really. We need a water bottle that doesn't leak, isn't too big and that my 4 year old can open herself. She is quite dinky and doesn't have much strength, the flip caps often demand a big push with a thumb. Have looked at EZ, Sistema, Sigg and Mudpuppies. Now I'm confused. And it's only a water bottle FGS!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 07-Jul-11 11:21:53

Do they sell any at school?

TheCoolWeb Thu 07-Jul-11 11:29:58

Nope.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 07-Jul-11 11:39:37

Our DD is starting in September and is quite small. I honestly haven't given it much consideration. She will be having the one from school but that's only because they've already given her one. Otherwise, I would have been taking her to Sainsburys where she would no doubt have chosen the Hello Kitty one.

Halogen Thu 07-Jul-11 12:15:28

If you're allowed Sigg I'd go for that - my really weedy DD can just about open hers alone (five in the autumn but honestly so weedy you would not believe it). Sigg are way more hardwearing than anything else and much easier to get properly clean. We're supposed to have a plastic bottle which is really annoying me as most of them seem either flimsy or hard to clean. Might just send her with the Sigg anyway.

silverfrog Thu 07-Jul-11 12:20:06

Camelbak are good, and both mine can open theirs. Dd1 has severe motor skill deficits, and has a very weak grip. Dd2 is only 4 but hdas managed off the last couple of years too. Come in a range of sizes, and dish washer proof too. Bonus.

Halogen Thu 07-Jul-11 12:37:47

Those do look good. Thank you.

neolara Thu 07-Jul-11 12:50:07

This is what you want!

You can stick it in the dishwasher, it's easy to open, it doesn't leak, it looks pretty (and you can get a pink version with flowers on it if you look around) and it's robust. This is the best water bottle I've ever bought by a million miles. And I've bought quite a few.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 07-Jul-11 13:02:11

That does look good neo. Haven't seen on of those before. There is a pink one here

TheCoolWeb Thu 07-Jul-11 13:22:34

Don't know if they are prescriptive over plastic or not, it doesn't specify anyway. No dishwasher in this house so no disadvantage if it's manual clean only.
Silverfrog, do you know what model of Camelbak you have?
Neolara, that is a lovely style. How easy is it to unscrew (for a weed) though?

Octavia09 Thu 07-Jul-11 13:24:06

www.littleacornstomightyoaks.co.uk/shop/Klean_Kanteen/Classic/12oz
Looks like they have little bottles.

This bottle should be good. www.onegreenbottle.com/350ml_Stainless_Steel_BPA_Free_bottles/One_Little_Green_Sports_bottle
I have found Flipper sport cap www.onegreenbottle.com/Caps_BPA_Free_Sports_bottles/Flipper_sports_cap_for_Mudpuppy_stainless_steel_bottles is better than Sport's Hook cap www.onegreenbottle.com/Caps_BPA_Free_Sports_bottles/BPA_Free_Sports_hook_cap. If you do not close Sport's Hook cap properly, it will leak.

silverfrog Thu 07-Jul-11 13:25:47

ooh, now you're asking. we have gone thorugh a few, hang on (they are all dd1 can drink from)

we currently have 2 different ones. plastic, bpa free (tritan? maybe - latest camelbak plastic job). one is hefty - 750ml and quite big. my 2 manage ok with it, but it is heavy when full.

also have a smaller one - maybe 400ml?

will have a look and see if I can find a link, hang on

silverfrog Thu 07-Jul-11 13:30:07

ok, we have the Better bottle, both in plastic and have just found a steel one too (cupboards full of drinking cups/bottles as dd1 has issues with drinking - severe ASD)

they are the longest lasting sprts bottles I have ever used - they take some serious punishment form my girls (droppped everywhere etc)

I have taken the straw out - was a bugger to clean properly (but then dd1 has diluted juice in hers), and so now they tip to drink; not a huge issue.

I have also taken off the silicon bite valve, so is free flow when open - this does mean they leak a little if not kept upright. but you could always keep the bite valve on (again, dd1 has issue with it)

TheCoolWeb Thu 07-Jul-11 14:07:21

silverfrog, thanks for looking that out. I know it's hardly a question of international importance!

Octavia09, I see they suggest the super-green sports cap for young children, I wonder if that's because of the thumb pressure required?

Has anyone used the Sistema bottles? They are very cheap but have (mostly) good reviews on Amazon.

silverfrog Thu 07-Jul-11 14:17:46

you're welcome smile, was no trouble. I know exactly how hard it is to source a decent drinking cup/bottle, believe me!

hope you find one you are happy with

PatriciaHolm Thu 07-Jul-11 14:18:36

We have the OneGreenBottle ones, with both Flipper and SuperGreen tops, which are great - much less leaking now.

skydance Thu 07-Jul-11 14:31:22

My children just have these ones, come in pink or blue, the lid twists open, even my 2 year old can open and drink from these.
www.lakeland.co.uk/14059/Summer-Picnic-Twista-Bottles

PorkChopSter Thu 07-Jul-11 14:45:27

Cheap and cheerful

I love the sistema bottles. They really are leak proof and DS with a weak grip (dyspaxia) was fine undoing and then doing it up.

Skydance - they look identical to the Sistema bottles!

farkly Thu 07-Jul-11 15:32:33

our sigg is dented after being dropped by DD on several occasions, and as a result is leaky.

mumtatt Thu 07-Jul-11 16:08:53

The sistema bottles are same as Lakeland ones. Have found they are great, go in the dishwasher, and have lasted us all year. Plus cheap £2.50 or something!

Halogen Fri 08-Jul-11 12:04:59

I've just bought a Sistema for the bargain price of £2.85 and it seems excellent so far. Really easy to open/close, too.

MooM00 Fri 08-Jul-11 13:47:37

this one! easy to empty and fill and my dc like drinking through the straw. Used to be £1.99 though!

TheCoolWeb Fri 08-Jul-11 15:38:46

Have decided to go with the bargain Sistema and see how we go.

MooMOO, we have one of those actually, good but not what I consider as properly leakproof.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now