Talk

Advanced search

Question for teachers

(15 Posts)
magicmummy1 Wed 06-Jul-11 23:02:16

We found out today about dd's teacher for next year. I don't know much about her but she seems lovely, and other parents have told me she's very good.

I'm just curious really as to how much handover there is between teachers from one year to the next - presumably the new teacher gets written records and levels etc, but do they have time to talk to the previous teacher too (assuming, of course, that both teachers are staying at the same school)?

I should make it clear that I'm not worried about this. We had a good transition last year and dd's current teacher seemed to get to know her very quickly. I also realise that the nature of any handover will differ from one school to the next.

I'm just interested to know the extent to which teachers are able communicate at this time of year when classes are passed on up the school? Is there time to do this? And is it even desirable, or do teachers prefer to make a fresh start with each child at the start of the new year?

cat64 Wed 06-Jul-11 23:10:23

Message withdrawn

magicmummy1 Wed 06-Jul-11 23:18:17

That's interesting, cat - do you actually read the reports that go out to parents? I guess you all know how to read between the lines and see past some of the euphemism! grin

I assume it's primarily the "naughty" kids that you all know about...

yellowkiwi Wed 06-Jul-11 23:29:48

It's not only the children who are discussed at these meetings wink

cat64 Wed 06-Jul-11 23:30:14

Message withdrawn

magicmummy1 Wed 06-Jul-11 23:55:40

Yellowkiwi - you're scaring me now! Hope I haven't given dd's teachers anything awful to talk about!!

RoadArt Thu 07-Jul-11 00:06:11

We pass on the reports and grades to the next teacher so theynhave a base line to work to. Then the teacher does her own assessments as part of the ongoing routine.

blackeyedsusan Thu 07-Jul-11 07:59:55

sure i will have a red flag by my name... awkward bugger involved parent will insist on having the reading books changed at least once a week and asking them to remind dd to wear a sunhat and tracksuit bottoms for pe if it is sunny and writing snippy comments in the reading diary regarding the suitability of the reading books now currently 8 bookband levels easier than the ones at home and that using the pictures to guess a word instead of phonic knowledge is a strategy used by weaker readers

a forest of red flags then.. grin

cat64 Thu 07-Jul-11 19:21:14

Message withdrawn

AbigailS Thu 07-Jul-11 19:58:45

We have transfer meetings with the new teacher. We don't talk much about academic stuff as we pass on masses of assessment data and their books. We do talk about whether the child is anxious or worried about a subject, how to approach any behavioural difficulties (e.g. either ignoring a full blown tantrum quickly take the wind out of their sails, or offering a quick option - get on now or miss playtime works best). We also talk about friendships that work and those that don't; which children work well together and which to keep apart. We note any that have had any sort of bullying issues so we can prevent future problems.
blush And, yes, we talk about the parents. The odd parent not to see alone, either for our own personal safety or so that a colleague can witness what we have said in case of parents claiming something different; which parents will try and clog up your every morning when they pop in for a "chat"; those who never hear their child read; the complainers who challenge every decision we make; the ones that scare the sh#t out of us and the ones who are lovely and support their child and the teacher all the way; the ones that are really helpful and are good to ask on school trips, to help with activities or to hear readers; the ones who can't be bothered to turn up to parents evening and the ones who can never make it to a parents evening and then demand a different one on Friday at 6.30pm, so they can have more than the usual 15 minutes, when you know jolly well there is no real reason they can't come to the proper evening except they want something different.
Having said that I know all the parents are talking about us in the playground as they found out this evening which teacher their DC will have in September; so parents and teachers can all be paranoid together about what they other is saying about them. wink

AbigailS Thu 07-Jul-11 20:01:33

Forgot to say as a teacher I keep that very quiet at my own DCs school. I certainly don't advertise the fact, but last year my DDs teacher said the previous teacher had said I was also a teacher, was that true? Red mark by my name when I confirmed it and was asked where I taught and which year group. Probably this year the new teacher is being warned about me too!

Feenie Thu 07-Jul-11 21:26:10

I can understand that - I have been in a position where I haven't known and have tried to explain things which would be obvious to a teacher on parents' evening. Would much rather know, saves a lot of time!

AbigailS Thu 07-Jul-11 21:56:26

Yes, I agree Feenie, but I really didn't want the NQT to stress. I wanted to be the sort of teacher mum that just let's their DCs teacher get on with it, not having to second guess what my professional opinion of their work is. Also I work at a school with a "reputation" that it often held up to other local schools as how something should be done and I know if I was in their shoes it would piss me off a bit.

Feenie Thu 07-Jul-11 22:02:49

Ahhh, NQT. Yes, can see how that would be stressful for her.

BusterGut Thu 07-Jul-11 22:11:50

On my recent handover I was told that 60% of my new children are 'anxious but well-behaved'. Then I heard about 60% of the parents........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now