Talk

Advanced search

Swapping schools in year 3/4

(5 Posts)
philmassive Wed 06-Jul-11 14:08:43

Would really appreciate hearing some stories from people whos dc's swapped schools early in year 4. My ds has been having trouble with school since beginning of year 3, along the lines of an ex-friend being nasty to him and ganging the class up. It is wearing him down and he is now taking seriously the possibility of moving schools. He is a very quiet, worrisome, introverted child and his social skills aren't great - finds it hard to talk to strangers/make eye contact etc, even sometimes with people he knows.

I'm wondering if early in year 4 is a good time for a move, and if other people with shy children have found it useful/problem solving or traumatic for their dc's.

All input welcome please.

jgbmum Wed 06-Jul-11 15:54:48

We moved home and DS started a new school in Y4. He was very shy particularly with adults, and had been bullied at his previous school.
The new start was fantastic for him. As the new boy, he was a 10 minute novelty, and everyone wanted to be his friend. The move was from a small (100 pupils) primary to a school three times bigger. The wider choice of people, meant that he quickly found a group of like-minded boys and made some great friendships.

cazza40 Wed 06-Jul-11 16:09:38

We moved home at the end of yr3 and my dd has fitted in very quickly at her new school. It seems like a good age to move so I would say go for it !

erebus Wed 06-Jul-11 16:21:16

Yes, the age thing wouldn't be a problem- heaps of time to get his feet under the desk in KS2. We moved our 2, one to go into Y4, one into Y6!

The new start can be fantastic. Of course, you don't need us to suggest confidence building ideas etc- I'm sure you're well versed! For us with DS1 it was necessary to tell him how to pick up friendship cues and, for instance, when another DS said 'Shall we meet up?' to say 'Yes, how about this Saturday at 2pm/ this Monday after school, can you ask your mum to phone mine?' rather than 'Um, OK'. end of. Girls are better at making it happen than boys!

Whilst we don't want to teach our DCs to 'run away' from problems, the fact remains, school is the only place we ever have to compulsorily be where we get no choice of companion. And some situations are plain toxic!

Good luck!

houseofboys Wed 06-Jul-11 21:23:25

Hi, thanks very useful post as we're in same boat with our DS and contemplating a change to prep for academic reasons. Trouble is, socially he's happy and won't countenance a change. Wondering if forcing it will cause more trauma and affect him adversely academically. I can so clearly see the potential for him but feels very hard to impose it when don't want to make him unhappy. Not like we have a house move or anything to make change essential.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now