Talk

Advanced search

Fellow teachers this way please...

(13 Posts)
LeoTheLateBloomer Tue 05-Jul-11 20:26:47

Do you ever worry that you're one of the teachers being moaned about?

Or have you ever recognised something that you do being questioned?

I've been reading the thread about dreading being in a certain teacher's class and it's starting to make me paranoid.

I can't be the only one can I?!

magicmummy1 Tue 05-Jul-11 20:41:33

Not a teacher, but do you also wonder if people are talking about you when they say how much they appreciate their dc's fantastic teacher?

We love dd's teacher to bits, she is amazing!

blackeyedsusan Tue 05-Jul-11 20:41:40

mmm sure I was being moaned about. teaching a term here and there in different schools on temporary contracts meant I waas not up to date on all the school policies. I was definatly moaned about when one teacher was interviewed for her own job and I got it... terrible management..

I know more things that wind parents up now I am one.... I should be a better teacher for it.

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Tue 05-Jul-11 21:42:24

I do worry sometimes!
However, I have to say, my most frequent reaction to comments on here is "does she HONESTLY believe the teacher said/daid that? REALLY?!"

AbigailS Wed 06-Jul-11 20:22:28

Yep! I wonder if it's me when posters on here complain that their DC's reading book is too easy! I really work hard at making sure the children in my class are on the right level reading book, but at least once a week I get a message in a reading log or a chat at the door - "This book is too easy" or "X needs a harder book". School policy means I will then need to double check by working one-to-one with that child (even if I have already heard them read that week and another 12 haven't been heard yet and may miss out because I them won't get round to hearing them). I do a full mis-cue analysis, check readabilty percentages and fill in an assessment form. Only twice has the child been very borderline ready to move up a stage, so I've moved up for the same complaint to be made about the new set with one child's mum! Once I've done the assessment I ask the parent to pop in and chat about the book level - but I know many go away cross because I haven't moved their child up before they are ready. They probably mutter in the playground or come on here to vent about the mean teacher who doesn't want their child to make progress with their reading. wink

clutteredup Wed 06-Jul-11 20:41:20

I try not to think about it - much as I like to think I'm perfect I know I'm not and as a teacher we're always in the front line.
As a parent now I understand, essentially you are dealing with someone's most precious prized possession, they will always be right , you will always be wrong.
I know this isn't absolutely everyone, there are lovely ones out there like magicmummy1 grin but if you work on that basis you're on the right track.
I always take the teacher's side against my DS, he is frequently in the wrong, but I know I'm not the norm.

NorfolkNChance Wed 06-Jul-11 21:16:39

It's pretty obvious if my school is mentioned as we are a rare kind, in fact one poster did post about my school when I was on maternity leave and I never did find out if her daughter got into our place or not!

goingmadinthecountry Wed 06-Jul-11 23:39:10

There's a mum who complains a lot that her child is not stretched enough at school. She can't actually form the letters for her own name correctly at the end of Y1 and it only has 4 letters in it....

strictlovingmum Wed 06-Jul-11 23:58:46

We love our little girl's teacher she is also amazing, gentle, strict, fair, loving, approachable all rolled in one, always there and willing to give time, she is everything teacher should be.
Above all she is excellent teacher.

Dozer Thu 07-Jul-11 00:01:13

Suspect it's like the relationships seftion, reading it makes you paranoid!

LeoTheLateBloomer Thu 07-Jul-11 12:11:21

strictlovingmum is your DD in my class? wink grin

strictlovingmum Thu 07-Jul-11 13:28:22

leothelatebloomer maybe if you identify with all of the abovegrin, seriously she is great and we will miss her, luckily, next years teacher has great rep. and we hope DD will flourish again.
Sometimes some teachers trashed and bashed and probably deservedly so, but majority do their job well and they are in teaching profession for all the right reasons.

strictlovingmum Thu 07-Jul-11 13:29:11

Meant to put are smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now