Talk

Advanced search

Holding a fun run for PTA fundraiser

(9 Posts)
joshandjamie Tue 05-Jul-11 08:01:02

Hi

I have looked but can't find a PTA section so am hoping it fits here. We are wanting to hold a fun run for our school. The challenge (I am rather regretfully coming to realise) is that to hold a fun run, you need permission from local councils to close roads, you need medical personnel and you need public liability insurance. All of these things cost so much that it wipes out any funds raised.

Has anyone else held / organised a fun run and if so, can you share any tips? How did you manage to keep costs down? Any advice appreciated.

Furball Tue 05-Jul-11 08:35:35

I would tag on to someone elses fun run and just get the runners to sort out their own sponsors.

There are loads happening all the time.

That way the school just get all the sponsorship monies but with no organising headache. (admittedly you won't get everyones entrant fee but you won't have any outlay either)

Ingles2 Tue 05-Jul-11 08:39:09

There is a company that organises all this for you. A school near me held one recently. I'm on my phone so can't google but if you search for goudhurst fun run on runners world you might find the details

Ingles2 Tue 05-Jul-11 08:41:59

I can see the company is called Nice Work but can't link. Hth's

joshandjamie Tue 05-Jul-11 09:40:11

thanks Ingles2 - will take a look

loulou4 Tue 05-Jul-11 10:04:25

our local school uses the school fields attached to the secondary school - they have plenty of fields so it's quite easy to do and just gets sectioned off - marshalls all around it for safety, plenty of water and a first aid station. each year group starts at a different time, parents and younger children also have separate start times. entry fee pays for numbered shirts and medals for the children plus trophies for the winners. or it could be a sponsored event but a minium donation required to cover costs. it's quite easy to do, but pre-registration is essential! prizes for each year group boys & girls plus parents. they looked at going into the streets, but it was far too difficult, although potentially could have raised a lot of money if the wider community got involved.

Gubbins Fri 08-Jul-11 13:03:07

We've organised a fun run for the last three years and it's our biggest fundraiser. We have it in a local park, so no road closure issues, we have parents who are already trained first aiders, and as far as I know we have had no insurance issues.

We hold a run for adults and a separate, shorter one for the kids. Money is raised through the entrance fee, sponsorship and external sponsors, who pay to have their logos printed on the fun-run t-shirt and the goodie bags that are handed out at the end. I don't know all the details as I'm not directly involved in the organisation, but it is always a huge success and other local schools are now following our lead and have set up their own. (Not nearly as good. Obviously.) Have a look at the NACPTA website. I'm sure you'll find lots on there about the logistics of a run.

Gubbins Fri 08-Jul-11 13:04:45

Sorry, that should be NCPTA.

lovecheese Fri 08-Jul-11 13:39:35

Fun run = an oxymoron.

As you were...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now