Talk

Advanced search

rewards

(4 Posts)
skybluepearl Sun 03-Jul-11 19:04:38

Last year my son went the whole year without a reward in assembly. Talking to the teacher twice failed to get results and in the end I left it in the heads hands. He then got a few rewards within a matter of weeks.

This year to date he has had on or two rewards. Different teacher though - shes really nice. Most kids seem to get 6 rewards a year and my son has noticed. Really not sure what to do as I don't want him just to get rewards only because I've high lighted how few he has. That makes a reward meaningless doesn't it?

I wonder if my son is invisible to a certain degree? He is able, quiet and well behaved. The kids who do well with rewards tend to be the loud bright showy off girls or the naughty boys.

What should i do?

bluegiraffe Sun 03-Jul-11 20:43:12

My DD starts school in Sept so I don't know how the 'reward' system really works yet at her school - but surely rewards should be for the "able, quiet and well behaved" ones? Isn't that the behaviour that should be rewarded?
One school we looked at had about 3 different systems, which made us think they must have a lot of 'difficult' children to deal with - and how much time would they be spending implementing all these 'systems' instead of teaching ...?
Our DD is also quiet and well behaved and we worry she will be overlooked and have to start misbehaving at school, just so she can be rewarded when she behaves well (or normally) again.....
Sorry I can't be of any real help skybluepearl, :-( hope some other MNs/teachers can shed some light on whether these systems are helpful/useful?

2kidsintow Sun 03-Jul-11 20:46:56

As a teacher I admit that it is easy to reward the children who shine academically, especially the ones who are outgoing and a little bit in your face. It is also usually happens that the children who struggle with their work or their behaviour will receive rewards for achieving what others do naturally.

As a teacher I strive to recognise and reward the quieter children who plod along and work nicely and behave well. I hope I manage it.

skybluepearl Sun 03-Jul-11 23:10:32

Thanks girls. His teachers are really lovely this year and i know they work very hard. I'm so pleased with the set up and how he is progressing - so partly don't want to highlight something negative. Part of me wants to say something for my sons sake though. What would you do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now