Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about being a Parent Governor please.

(6 Posts)
GoingLoopyLou Sat 02-Jul-11 13:49:40

My DS's school needs parent governors and I am interested in doing something foe the school but had envisaged PTA really.

Can anyone advise more on the role of a governor and if it is a good or bad thing? DH reckons once you sign up to do it there's no getting out of it?

Elibean Sat 02-Jul-11 16:36:53

There was a thread on this recently - worth searching for?

I am a PG, have done nearly one year and thoroughly enjoyed it - but I suppose it makes a difference that I like the school, the Head, and the other Governors (more or less).

It can take as much time as you want it to, but a minimum of the Full Body Governors' meetings (we have 2 per term, they go on for 1.5 hours usually) and one National Training day. I've done some extra training, and am involved with two committees (Personnel and Policy/Curriculum) so have done quite a bit - especially as we had a Head to appoint, are going through a lot of change, etc.

I used to be involved more in the PTA - helped set it up, and was Vice Chair - and still am, but less so as less time/energy. It does feel like a different role, but both are equally helpful I think...maybe check out the PTA, and ask if you can sit in on part of a Govs meeting?? Our school offered the latter, when I was dithering - made it less scary.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 02-Jul-11 16:54:26

Depends what you want to achieve from it. If you want to be hands on, then PTA is the way to go. It really makes a difference to the children and has great satisfaction when you purchase x, y and z.

Governor is more paperwork and policies and you may vote or hear things that will affect your child/children and you may not like so our Head warns anybody re being a parent governor that they have to set aside their personal feelings and do the best for the school.

2kidsintow Sun 03-Jul-11 20:43:52

Being part of the Governing Body can be a really interesting thing. Beware, however, that it can sometimes be a big deal. A friend of mine had the summer from hell last year because there was a disciplinary matter that involved the police, the governing body, bigwigs from the teaching coucil and a member of the SMT at school. It was stressful and required hours and hours of her time in meetings.
That is a very rare occurance however.

WannabeNigella Sun 03-Jul-11 22:23:07

Thanks everyone, you've been really helpful. My children are likely to be at this school over the next 12 years so I'd like to do something worthwhile as well as interesting.

Scholes34 Mon 04-Jul-11 09:19:28

Once you're in, you'll never be able to escape unless you have a good exit plan right from the start!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now