Talk

Advanced search

reception levels 1-9 what is normal?

(25 Posts)
squeezable Sat 02-Jul-11 09:14:44

just want to see what's normal and what's not concerning these levels. the teacher was so elusive about saying what the other kids got in the class that i have no idea what to gauge his progress on, she said he was doing 'well'...is that 'well' compared with others in the class or 'well' compared with nationally. anyways i would welcome any thoughts on this.

my dd got 5 level 9's a few 8's one 7 and one 6.

i can't even remember how many categories there were...around 9 or 10 possibly...does anyone know what they all are?

thanks

Asparaguses Sat 02-Jul-11 09:18:54

My DD is finishing Reception and I have never even heard of these levels. Do all schools have to give this feedback because ours doesn't seem to. All I got is "She learns quickly, listens really well, has picked up reading well and is prepared for year one." is that vaguer than most would expect?

fivegomadindorset Sat 02-Jul-11 09:20:32

No idea didn't know they existed.

lovecheese Sat 02-Jul-11 09:26:06

squeezable I would think comparing nationally, he/she should not compare your child to others in the class.

crystal07 Sat 02-Jul-11 09:27:25

Ive heard of these levels from other parents at dds school, however wasnt told at parents meeting what level dd is at. i had the same doing very well etc.

mrz Sat 02-Jul-11 09:33:11

Children are assessed at the end of reception using the EYFS profile.
There are 13 strand - 3 for Personal Social & Emotional Development 4 for Communication Language & Literacy 3 for Problem Solving Reasoning & Numeracy and 1 each for Knowledge and Understanding of the World, Creative Development and Physical Development.
Each strand has 9 scale points - points 1-3 are working towards Early Learning Goals (and are usually achieved in nursery) points 4-8 are Early Learning Goals and point 9 indicates the child is consistently working beyond ELGs (ie within NC levels)
Your son is doing fine

Mum2be79 Sat 02-Jul-11 09:48:46

6 is considered 'average'. If your child is working at 8/9 then they are working beyond expectations for YR.

I have Y1 children and 2/3 of my new class are all at 8's for writing - Eek! No pressure then! At least I'm only there until early December as I'll be off on maternity!

mrz Sat 02-Jul-11 10:21:09

A colleague from the NAA (National Assessment Agency) recently gave a presentation to NAHT Primary Committee. In it, he outlined some principles and the results so far of his research into the scale points on the Foundation Stage Profile. This is a synopsis of the main points he made.

• Point scores are levels of achievement and not the points in the profile, i.e. a score of 6 does not mean profile 6, it means point 3, plus 3 aspects achieved of sections 4-8. Children with the same points score will therefore probably have a different level of achievement.

so saying 6 is average is misleading I'm afraid although we have all been told that over the years... it depends on which 6

MayDayChild Sat 02-Jul-11 21:48:31

Mrz is there a web link anywhere you could post to this? The profiles I mean.
I know my DD strengths and weaknesses. I would like to perhaps encourage her in aspects she wouldn't choose in a free play scenario.
Ive seen the list once before and also in a friends child's handover book from nursery to primary but I haven't received such a book from my nursery.
TIA

MayDayChild Sat 02-Jul-11 21:50:02

Oh and what are NC levels if you would be so kind.....

Goblinchild Sat 02-Jul-11 21:59:41

www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/curriculum/assessment/getfile.php?src=554/EYFSP+Scales.pdf&s=4e0f86bca7a1889ff4835b59818faf97

NC levels are National Curriculum levels, 1-3 are usual for KS1 and 2-5 for KS2 and 4-7 for KS3

MayDayChild Sat 02-Jul-11 22:06:00

Marvellous
X

MayDayChild Sat 02-Jul-11 22:17:42

Now I know this sounds awful. I am not pushy. I have a happy confident girl. She, by my (not a teacher at all) own opinion, Is a good level 7 across the grid and in some an 8, particularly communication.
She cannot read yet but asks me all the time to teach her (I just keep reading and showing her the sounds and naming letters).
She is 4.2. Her primary are doing a month long induction this sept and I wish they wouldnt!
Is she going to be bored? Is reception repetitious for some children?
I know I should stop worrying! But it's hard!
She is perfectly normal, but judging by the profile, she surely is doing well already?
Her school recently got a satisfactory ofsted for letting down the more able students.
I suppose I'm after reassurance!!!! I'm trying so hard not to worry about school. PFB etc and a general feeling I was let down at school. I'm so lazy academically and I know I wasn't ever challenged.

Goblinchild Sat 02-Jul-11 22:28:45

That's the problem with parents using assessment and diagnostic information without the training. I'd be surprised if she is already at the levels across the board you think she is independently, without 1:1 input and support.
If she is, the teacher will just move on to level one of the NC and teach her at the level she is. That's what differentiation means.

Goblinchild Sat 02-Jul-11 22:31:09

Why not wait and see after the first half term and then ask questions?
If she can't read yet, how did you score her higher than a 6 in CLL?

MayDayChild Sat 02-Jul-11 22:33:39

Thank you
I know I can't assess her. Oh and she can't write at all so she has lots to learn.
But the fact I can't assess her is a worry. She is a good girl, would sit quietly doing nothing!

MayDayChild Sat 02-Jul-11 22:35:55

Yes, I looked closely again and she isn't across the board. But literally only thing she can't do is form letters and read freely but she recognises over 10 words like mum dog cat etc.
I'll stop worrying, ha ha try to a any rate.

mrz Sun 03-Jul-11 08:15:40

If she can't form letters she can't score more than 3 on that particular thread (which is where an able nursery child should be on entry to reception)... she recognises a few familiar words which would also give a score of 3 for that aspect ... does she know all the letter sound representations? that the letters "igh" represent the sound /ie/ for example?

She sounds as if she is a clever little girl but the profile judgements aren't quite so straightforward as they appear

Tarenath Sun 03-Jul-11 11:12:04

Yep this is the problem with the EYFS Profile. It's very easy to use it as a ticklist when that's not how it's supposed to be applied. I'm a nanny and I have a basic understanding of the EYFS but I don't use it in everyday planning and observations. If I take the Profile as a ticklist and apply it to my son (4.4) He scores mostly 6-8 with only reading at 5 and writing at 3. It comes out at 83 overall which is higher than the "average" score of children at the end of reception and he is still preschool aged. I'm fairly certain I'm not applying it correctly but it's useful as a guideline.

MayDayChild Sun 03-Jul-11 18:53:51

She can write her name and mummy and daddy without assistance, puts her own name on all her artwork inc 7 letter surname.
I think I get a copy of the 'ticklist' from nursery and a copy goes to primary school. I guess this will help indicate if she is actually showing her ability (whatever level) to others.
And I assume I am quite normal in my concerns. Please say yes!!!

Goblinchild Sun 03-Jul-11 18:58:45

'And I assume I am quite normal in my concerns. Please say yes!!!'

Sadly, yes you are normal.

ruddynorah Sun 03-Jul-11 19:00:36

'she can't write at all' 'she can write her name' hmm

MayDayChild Sun 03-Jul-11 19:00:55

Phew. In that case I'm actually far more relieved than you could imagine and will sit quietly from now on!!!

MayDayChild Sun 03-Jul-11 19:04:11

RuddyN I thought writing name was fairly standard. Whilst she knows the letters in her name, if I were to mix them up into a different word, she couldn't write that. It's like she knows putting them into one order only kind of rote.
Although the optician tested her eyesight using just the letters of her name mixed up and she sussed that out!

mrz Sun 03-Jul-11 19:58:51

Nursery shouldn't be using the "ticklist" it is intended for the end of the reception year they should be assessing against Developmental Matters which will give a detailed picture of her stage of development.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now