Talk

Advanced search

Massive difference in level on paper test on sats and written work in class?

(32 Posts)
yearningforthesun Fri 01-Jul-11 10:40:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

yearningforthesun Fri 01-Jul-11 10:42:25

adamschic Fri 01-Jul-11 10:46:50

Yes, many years ago. Teacher said DD would struggle as she was on the bottom table for maths. She got a level 3 and was described as a maths whizz by the head in the infant leaving speech!

IndigoBell Fri 01-Jul-11 10:52:32

This makes no sense.

Do you have any confidence in the teacher?

The teacher thinks she can't read but she actually can? (A level 1 means can't read independently, and a level 2 means she can.)

How could the teacher not know if your DD could read or not?

Can she read at home? What does she read to you?

Spelling is not such a big deal. It's a one off test. Kids often do better in spelling tests than they do in their day to do work.

There isn't a SATs paper for science ( I don't think )

Once again with maths - there's a big diff between a level 1 and a level 2, and I don't know how your teacher could not know which one your DC is working at.

One obvious explanation is that the teacher isn't brilliant, and the TA or teacher supports your DC so much in class that she doesn't bother to do any work. Or that the teacher has low expectations of her, so she lives up to them.

Another explanation is that she copied smile But surely the teacher would have noticed that......

adamschic Fri 01-Jul-11 10:56:20

I would have a word with the teacher about how your dc is in class. Is there a reason they are hiding their light under a bushel so to speak. Is it a confidence issue? e.g has some crap teacher (sorry there are a few) told them that they cannot do things?

yearningforthesun Fri 01-Jul-11 11:02:17

IndigoBell Fri 01-Jul-11 11:09:18

If your child can read 'worst witch' then there is absolutely no way she is a level 1. So the real question is why on earth did the teacher (who knows she is a 'free reader') think she can't read.

Really, it all looks very odd or very incompetent.

Is she getting a different teacher next year?

yearningforthesun Fri 01-Jul-11 11:16:31

IndigoBell Fri 01-Jul-11 11:25:29

Still doesn't make sense.

You get a sep level for reading and writing. So you can be (and normally are) a higher level in reading than writing.

Spelling counts for very few points in terms of your writing level. You can be an absolute atrocious speller and still get a level 2 (or higher) in writing.

admission Fri 01-Jul-11 12:22:58

Everything that you have said points to the fact that the teacher is either not able to moderate the work appropriately (they are vastly understating the work) or that your child is simply not doing work in class for some reason and not being pushed to do it. Either way it points to a concern over the teacher.

Feenie Fri 01-Jul-11 13:22:47

I agree that this amounts to staggering incompetence, especially at this stage in the year, when teachers should know their children very, very well.

clutteredup Fri 01-Jul-11 14:56:04

You might just want to your DC. it may be teacher incompetence or it might be that your DC just doesn't bother to do anything in class but bare minimum - could be for any number of reasons - but when sat in a test situation on their own found the incentive to bother. My DS was a bit like that he didn't want to be noticed by the other chidren as being bright but when it cam to the SATs he couldn't help himself. It might just be worth looking into it before going in all gund blazing and declaring teacher incompetence. Some children just opt out in class but it doesn't mean they're not learning.

clutteredup Fri 01-Jul-11 14:57:04

sorry 'came' 'guns'
incompetent teacher me grin

Feenie Fri 01-Jul-11 16:35:24

That's fine and dandy, but for a teacher not to notice that they aren't working for a whole year? Should not ever happen. There is no excuse for not knowing a child's level inside out after a year.

Feenie Fri 01-Jul-11 16:36:34

A Y2 teacher has to gather many, many pieces of evidence to arrive at their judgement, from many different sources.

mrz Fri 01-Jul-11 17:31:59

Or you could have a child like my son who produced nothing worthwhile in class and excelled in tests and exams. His GCSE course work and exam work could have easily been from different children.

Feenie Fri 01-Jul-11 18:19:00

Did any of his teachers know his true capabilities, mrz?

youarekidding Fri 01-Jul-11 18:37:40

Blimy that is an almighty confusing situation.

I agree its got to be very hard at that age to fake not being able to do the work. Is your DC2 very easily distracted? Or doesn't see the rewards in classwork? Mindyou I'd be surprised if the SATS were the first tests they have done all year? Usually they do mini tests to get children use to doing them.

Feenie Fri 01-Jul-11 18:40:11

That's what I can't quite fathom - even if a child didn't produce the work in writing, didn't they give any oral answers at all? Any hint of their ability?

ASByatt Fri 01-Jul-11 18:41:44

I agree with Feenie, this does not sound like a teacher who knows his/her pupils very well at all - which is pretty poor at this point in the school year!

mrz Fri 01-Jul-11 18:45:51

His Y6 teacher said he was the most intelligent child she had taught in 30 years as a teacher but he refused to write. In secondary his Maths teacher and his GCSE English teacher were frustrated by him. His science teacher was shocked and embarrassed by his 98% exam mark after he had constantly said he was a waste of space.

He has ASD and a nightmare as he doesn't see any reason to write things down.

Feenie Fri 01-Jul-11 18:48:49

But they still knew he was bright, that's why they were frustrated, no?

ASByatt Fri 01-Jul-11 19:02:48

mrz - your DS sounds fascinating! How is he doing now, if you don't mind my asking? (OP - sorry for brief hijack!)

My DS is only Y1 (and youngest in his year) but perplexing his school because he can read anything, understands a hell of a lot of the anything he car read but doesn't really write - and they're struggling with him already........

ASByatt Fri 01-Jul-11 19:03:26

Sorry - 'can' read, of course. Although he might quite like a book about cars......

mrz Fri 01-Jul-11 19:13:30

A few knew he was bright some thought he was lazy, stupid, lazy & stupid ...and lots of other adjectives

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now