Talk

Advanced search

Feeling incredibly emotional as DS leaves Year 6 primary....

(5 Posts)
whippet Fri 01-Jul-11 09:51:49

Just wanted to see if anyone else was feeling the same.

DS1 is leaving his junior school in a few weeks time, and when I look at him, I just keep feeling overcome with a variety of emotions :
- excitement at this transition point in his life
- proud of everything he has achieved in his little life so far
- a bit sad that this is the 'end' of my little boy... I know that once he gets to senior school everything changes quickly.

There was a school performance last night, and I was just bowled over as I watched the Year 6 kids, and realised how much they have grown up and changed in the last 4 years.
They seem so mature, and poised, and confident etc.

They really do look like birds about to fly off the edge of the nest...

It feels a if a particular phase of my parenting 'career' is over...

<sob> sad

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 01-Jul-11 10:02:09

I'm feeling a real mix too. It's a bitter sweet time really, looking at all they've become and achieved over the last few years. I'm not ready for the next stage but dd certainly is.

<sob> too.

Poppyella Fri 01-Jul-11 12:04:34

I'm getting pangs already and my ds is only at the end of year 5!

Aged 10 is a fantastic age for him - happy, cheeky, great sense of humour and still loves his mum and cuddles me lots.

I don't want the hormones to ruin it all!!

You have my sympathy, I am slightly dreading next year.

greencolorpack Fri 01-Jul-11 12:07:33

Yes. Bought spot cream for my boy the other day. His childish complexion will be blighted by pimples! It's too soon! (sobs)

ExitPursuedByAKitten Fri 01-Jul-11 12:29:35

With you on this one. Although my DD has not had the best of times in her last two years at primary, I am very emotional and can feel myself welling up at the thought of her moving to big school.

I remember when she was in Y3, watching the Y6s in the end of term play and thinking eeks, they have boobs! and now there will be my DD with her chest straining at her too small dress. It is definitely the end of an era.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now