Talk

Advanced search

Year 3 work

(10 Posts)
waitawhile Thu 30-Jun-11 23:19:52

I was just wondering as the start of KS2 is around the corner..... is there a big difference in work load, if kids are sitting at 2b/a is there a big jump to get them up into the level 3's??

What is Key Stage 2 like in the first couple of years for the children. I know a lot of people talked about year 1 being a big difference from reception with more formal learning. Just wondered if there was anything similar for KS2.

Words of wisdom appreciated.

waiting

manic Thu 30-Jun-11 23:42:31

Biggest Primary changes for both my DC was joining Reception, loving it, then after 1 and a half weeks realising they don't have a CHOICE about "going today, or not". Then the move from Reception to Year 1, Reception was mostly learning through play, formal work starts here. By the time they get to the end of Year 2 and move from Infants to Juniors the biggest change for us was that they were now using the "big" children's playground. By the time they get to the end of each year, they are ready and geared up for starting the next one. Remember they are growing up and their phsche is ready for more mentally and physically. Good luck!!!!

IndigoBell Fri 01-Jul-11 06:23:57

I agree - there is a big change between R and Y1, but not much between Y2 and Y3 - especially if you're at a through primary school rather than a sep infants and juniors.

Hopefully they'll be expected to be more responsible and independent. But they'll be ready for it.

missmapp Fri 01-Jul-11 07:10:07

I teach yr3 and the biggest change the children find is the lack of any 'choosing time' and no afternoon break! They do get tired in the first few weeks of term, but soon adjust and realise the advantages of being in the juniors.

circular Fri 01-Jul-11 08:56:48

DD2 in yr3. Main differences academically have been the start of regular homework and setting for numeracy. Both of which the school called a meeting on in the first half-term of the year.

Some of the homework is also starting to take the form of projects across several subjects (ie, Tutankhaman (sp) - Literacy, History and Art/ICT)

Socialy, they are now lumped in with the Juniors, so affects lunch, play and school finish times. Also back to being the youngest at school discos and the like.

Jinx1906 Fri 01-Jul-11 09:23:09

Our youngest is going in to year 3 next September. When our older dd went in to KS2 we found year 3 was a bit of a GAP year, especially for maths, they seemed to revise a lot of the stuff that had already been covered in year 2. Perhaps, this had something to do with the SATS at the end of year 2, not sure.

Elsjas Fri 01-Jul-11 10:18:53

Agree with Jinx. In our school, year 3 was a consolidation year. Obviously the kids learnt new stuff, but there was a lot of revision of ideas from year 2. Dd found it a very easy transition and settled quickly and well.

waitawhile Sun 03-Jul-11 22:52:49

Thank you for the replies. Always good to hear different angles. A bit of consolidation will be good for my DD as she's been exposed to lots of new stuff this year due to curriculum differences. Hopefully year 3 will be a good year and at a good pace and she'll be able to enjoy a nice balanced time in and out of school smile Thanks again

skybluepearl Mon 04-Jul-11 17:49:10

my boy got 3's in year 2 sats. he made huge steps forward in reception, then made smaller steps forward in years 1 and 2. he has blossomed and thrived in year 3. the work/teachers are far more inspiring/interesting. his writing is so much more creative too.

Elibean Mon 04-Jul-11 18:16:36

Also have a dd starting Y3 in September - good to read responses!

She will be upstairs instead of downstairs, and is also in the last of the single-entry years....feels odd to me, but I suspect she'll take it in her stride smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now