Talk

Advanced search

Would you be concerned if your dc school was on their third head in three years?

(18 Posts)
yearningforthesun Wed 29-Jun-11 23:12:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rosebud05 Wed 29-Jun-11 23:14:31

It would depend why.

GypsyMoth Wed 29-Jun-11 23:17:42

lower school?
middle? upper school?

yearningforthesun Wed 29-Jun-11 23:25:08

Rosebud05 Thu 30-Jun-11 06:17:50

That is an unusual situation.

I'd ask the existing head; their explanation may not be the whole picture, but it may give you some info about what's been going on.

IndigoBell Thu 30-Jun-11 06:18:09

Yes, I'd be concerned.

It wouldn't be my first choice.

AbigailS Thu 30-Jun-11 07:31:13

There may be a positive answer. Maybe the first one retired / moved on, the next was "acting" while they searched for the third, permanent head.

mrz Thu 30-Jun-11 08:54:39

Moving onward and upward to bigger schools better pay. I would say the governors aren't doing a very good job in selecting

fishheadfishhead Thu 30-Jun-11 08:56:10

i'd be concerned, happened at my sons school, we have a good one now but the school basically went to pieces in the interim. teachers left in droves.

hockeyforjockeys Thu 30-Jun-11 09:26:32

It depends. If it is a situation where a school goes into special measures, the head leaves, a temporary one is appointed for a year, then a permanent replacement (or similar type of scenario) is found then no. The school I attended as a child has been through 8 heads in the last 12 years, it is as a result of deep issues in the school and LA (and it is in a mc area with decent exam results). That scenario then yes you should worry. However the teachers in my old school continue to work hard to provide a good standard of education, despite all the backroom politics.

yearningforthesun Thu 30-Jun-11 09:45:04

swash Thu 30-Jun-11 10:07:50

I would make friends with the parent-governer if I was you. Only way to find out what is going on.

MyCatHasStaff Thu 30-Jun-11 10:10:55

Teaching full time and being head must be hell - two full time jobs imho. I think that be your answer.

MyCatHasStaff Thu 30-Jun-11 10:11:29

that may be your answer.

yearningforthesun Thu 30-Jun-11 11:46:06

woahwoah Thu 30-Jun-11 13:23:38

Some years ago I worked briefly in a school that had been through several heads (acting and permanent) in a few years. There were deep seated problems within the school and it was a nightmare to work in. From the outside it looked a lovely, caring school in a leafy area. I don't want to say too much about what was wrong but I got out at the first opportunity and the staff turnover was huge.

So yes, I would worry, although obviously there may be a far more innocent explanation in this case. But I would want to know more. being a teaching head is very hard, but it's rare to have NO management time. I would want to know why - have they terrible financial problems, or problems recruiting staff?

Littlefish Thu 30-Jun-11 15:58:54

I don't see how anyone can teach full time, and be a Headteacher.

At dd's school, the head teaches 2 days a week.

As I see it, small schools with teaching or part teaching heads tend to attract either first time heads, who stay for 2 -3 years and then move on to larger schools/non teaching Head roles, or they attract teachers at the end of their careers, looking for a step down from a large school, before retirement. Neither of these options is particularly good in my opinion.

It is a major concern for me too as dd's school are about to have their third head teacher in 4 years due to some fairly rubbish decisions by the governing body.

Elibean Thu 30-Jun-11 16:56:44

Yes, I would worry - unless I had a good, and sensible, explanation.

dd's last Head was Head for 18 years (then acting one for a year, now properly Head and not going anywhere for a long time I should think!). T'other extreme grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now