Talk

Advanced search

KS1 SATS science

(9 Posts)
Wandaaa Wed 29-Jun-11 21:08:15

DD got level 2 in her science KS1 sats does that mean she is below average as there is no a, b or c?

spanieleyes Wed 29-Jun-11 21:09:59

No, it means that the school are not applying an artificial sublevel when one doesn't exist!

Wandaaa Wed 29-Jun-11 21:14:14

Thanks for quick reply, but does that mean children can only get a 1,2 or 3 for science with 2 being the expected level at the end of KS1.

dietcokeandwine Wed 29-Jun-11 21:23:27

I think so, yes. As I understand it it is only numeracy, reading and writing that are split into the sub-levels; science and speaking/listening are assessed at 1/2/3 only, with 2 being the expected level.

Am sure someone will correct me if this is wrong though!

Goblinchild Wed 29-Jun-11 21:25:59

No correction, you are right.

BusterGut Wed 29-Jun-11 21:26:36

Yes, Wandaa. There are no sublevels in science. The level is a combination of achievement in materials and their properties, life processes and living things, physical processes and investigation. The level is weighted towards achievement in investigation.

spanieleyes Wed 29-Jun-11 21:27:32

Well, in theory they COULD get from 1-8, although given level 8 is that expected in KS3 and beyond, it would be pretty unusual! Generally a child in yr 2 would be working at 1,2 or 3 but could be assessed higher if they were a scientific geniusgrin

Wandaaa Wed 29-Jun-11 21:32:55

Thanks

Teachermumof3 Wed 29-Jun-11 21:43:41

The teacher will more than likely have given her a sub-level in science for their tracking data (we have to give sub-levels for maths, reading, writing, S+L and science-but not all of these have to be reported to the parents. Level 2 is the national expectation for the end of Y2-your daughter is doing fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now