Talk

Advanced search

Anyone think this is inappropriate?

(21 Posts)
vintageteacups Wed 29-Jun-11 17:34:43

I've just sat and watched the final street jazz lesson at DD's primary school. She's been having group lessons every week for the past couple of years and seems to really enjoy it.

The dance teacher (who we pay £30) a term to, is a qualified dancer/model/actress who takes the lessons herself. She must be CRB checked and there is no teacher there during the lesson; just the teacher.The girls are yrs 3/4.

Having just got home, I thought nI'd google to see if she had a website and she has. It has pages detailing her quals/history/school she teaches in etc.

Then on the acting page, she has a mini video of herself acting. In it, she swears (bloody, stupid bitch) and then opens her bag and takes out a packet of coaine and snorts it in the street).

I was livid (perhaps a bit over the top) but luckily dd wasn't sat watching it with me. I wondered if I was overreacting but I don't think I was.

I just think why would she put that sort of content on her website knowing that the kids she teaches or their parents might look at her website.

Didn't want to put this in AIBU as I've had enough of being slated grin and it's obviously primary school related..

thisisyesterday Wed 29-Jun-11 17:36:51

it seems slightly odd that she would choose that... yes..... hmmm

was it a clip from a programme she was in? and tghat was the trailer? tenuous i know

frostymomma Wed 29-Jun-11 17:39:09

That's shocking! shock I'd mention it to the school straight away.

wordsonapage Wed 29-Jun-11 17:39:15

well it is acting

but its not something I'd think would be worthy of showcasing

PrettyCandles Wed 29-Jun-11 17:40:40

She is probably a working actor who wants agents and casting directors to see her work. Teaching primary school children is probably a relatively small part of her work. (Though being regular, probably a large part of her income!)

At primary school age I would not expect my children to be looking at any website that had not been pre-vetted in some way. So they would not see her website, anyway.

So TBH whether I approve or disapprove of her choice of demo piece, I don't think it is inappropriate.

wordsonapage Wed 29-Jun-11 17:40:43

its not like shes encouraging her pupils to snort chalk powder though is it?

Its seperate from school (i'm assuming) so not an issue

vintageteacups Wed 29-Jun-11 17:45:34

Yes, it's a demo video and she's a working dancer/model and looks like she's done a bit of acting and trying to do more.

I do vet sites the kids go on always but it was actually me who suggested to dd we see if she had a website and dd wasn't bothered about looking.

BranchingOut Wed 29-Jun-11 17:46:52

I'm not sure, to be honest. I have held management positions in primary schools where there have been instructors coming in and delivering sessions to pupils after school, but if this cropped up I would have to seek further advice.

I know that there was a situation where there were complaints about a secondary teacher who also had website with pictures of herself in fetish type clothing, but I can't remember the outcome.

It could be argued that she had not made pupils aware of the existence of the website, does not have QTS therefore is not bound by the professional code of conduct and therefore the website relates to her acting work rather than her education work.

BranchingOut Wed 29-Jun-11 17:49:46

Also, if the sessions are taking place after school then they are probably a private arrangement between you and the dance instructor - but provided on school premises for the convenience of parents. Or do you pay via the school office?

frostymomma Wed 29-Jun-11 17:51:34

If she has chosen to work with children on a regular basis and the video is in the public domain, I would see this as unacceptable. Not that a Yr3/4 would (hopefully) know what she's doing, but I wouldn't be happy with her promoting anything that might be seen to be condoning it (just in case).

yearningforthesun Wed 29-Jun-11 17:53:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BranchingOut Wed 29-Jun-11 18:02:34

The answer is probably for her to have a separate web-site with her teaching info and another website for her acting career, with an 18s only warning on any links from one to the other,

vintageteacups Wed 29-Jun-11 18:04:18

yes, we pay through the school office but cheques made out to her.

MigratingCoconuts Wed 29-Jun-11 18:06:49

I really don't see the issue given that she is looking for work in a range of areas and the primary work is just a part if what she does.

More importantly, has DD enjoyed her work?? Surely this is the only issue if the kids are too young to have free access to her webpage. This is aimed at adults

MumblingRagDoll Wed 29-Jun-11 18:14:26

YANBU and she iss very naieve to have that on a publi search. My DH is an actor and we had a hairy moment recently when the school gossip googled him, found an excerpt from a movie he did 10 years ago(before we met or had children) which had similar content.

He made it private straight away. He doesn't teach at DDs school but he doesn't want her friends seeing it!

vintageteacups Wed 29-Jun-11 19:06:57

I feel awful now - she sent me a lovely email saying she would remove it and it's in the process of being changed anyway.

She was so lovely in the email and I felt so bad for complaining, I just wrote back apologising for being hot headed and hormonal!!

yearningforthesun Wed 29-Jun-11 19:23:55

vintageteacups Wed 29-Jun-11 20:02:27

Yes - she has written back again saying she completely understands the content is not really suitable and so has removed it. She didn't mind me telling her about it at all.

I feel like a right cow now! Oh well - all sorted and I got the desired effect and ended up not falling out about it.

HelloKlitty Wed 29-Jun-11 21:01:50

Don't feel like a cow...of COURSE she was nice! She realised you'd done her a favour!

yearningforthesun Wed 29-Jun-11 21:32:33

vintageteacups Wed 29-Jun-11 21:39:37

No - I didn't think she was anything other than niave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now