Talk

Advanced search

Levels in KS1

(22 Posts)
WesternIsle Tue 28-Jun-11 22:29:47

Do you know where your child is at in KS1 at the end of year 1?

I have no idea whether my child is behind, ahead, just right. School do very bland reports - x has enjoyed learning about the Egyptians this term.

With x being transposed with child name. So very impersonal reports. I know what they have been studying topic wise, but no idea how my child is doing.

Am I alone in this?

Goblinchild Tue 28-Jun-11 22:36:25

It is a constant battle as a teacher to try and write a report that is worth reading. Some schools insist on relentlessly positive, information-free reams of pap going home. Saves parents being competitive or aggressive.
I like to be honest and clear, and set a target for each of the key areas of learning, but sometimes I used to get my reports sent back with a request to put more sugar in
I've worked out a middle path. smile

toolatehadyourchancemuffedit Tue 28-Jun-11 22:37:53

I'm not sure what happened in year 1 as we weren't here but we were given DD's NC levels in year 2 i.e expected levels for the end of the year and I guess they will follow that up with what she got. I do find it helpful and it gives me an indication if she is making progress. You could always ask.

youarekidding Tue 28-Jun-11 22:39:46

You can ask the teacher. DS yr 1 teacher said she didn't know wouldn't tell me but when he started yr 2 the teacher told me what he came up as and what progress he had made without me asking. confused

Not all teachers/ schools will divulge this information though. Ours has just given the end of KS1 results (yr2) with our school reports.

Reports are generally personal for the bit about the child. Then it is often C&P statements which cover what a child has done and will be delendant on how well they've done for that activity.

eg
X worked on a collage of the beach using a variety of materials which he/she selected.
X produced an excellent collage using a variety of materials chosen with care.
X has made a beach collage in art using different materials.

etc etc.

basingstoke Tue 28-Jun-11 22:42:30

We get levels in Maths, English (reading, writing and speaking/listening) and Science at the end of the year. We get "above/meeting/below expectations" and effort grades for all other subjects. Plus comments as well of course.

Teachermumof3 Tue 28-Jun-11 22:43:02

I have to put a sublevel for Reading, Writing and Maths for my Y1 children on their reports and also whether they are above/at or below the expected level for their age. Along with the personal/social comments and an effort grade in each subject, I think that's a pretty useful summary.

youarekidding Tue 28-Jun-11 22:44:06

TBH I only read in depth the bit about DS and how well he's doing in Literacy and Maths. Happy if he's worked hard and progressed.

The rest he's usually told me he's done throughout the year so just read.

Teachers spend what probably feel's like a lifetime and is a very long time writing reports. (and often still get moaned at by parents sad)

VforViennetta Tue 28-Jun-11 23:13:58

Dd is in year 2, but in year 1 I don't think levels were reported, was quite obvious though as they had target sheet thing in the front of each work book, with the level in the corner, not sure if this was current or aimed for level tbh.

Teachers were quite willing to discuss levels though, which is good. They do seem to lump the reading/writing aspects in together as literacy though. Not sure if these will be reported separately in year 2 or not. Dd's reading was I think level 3 in yr1, but her handwriting is messy at best, thye said her literacy score would not be dragged down by bad handwriting but could be raised if she neatened up hmm not sure how the eff that works.

VforViennetta Tue 28-Jun-11 23:17:07

Oh I forgot, they also do the "working below", "working within", "working above" things for each section, they also have an "exceeded" section which makes little sense, seeing as it means exactly the same as "working above".

lovecheese Wed 29-Jun-11 09:48:36

Didn't think to ask when DD1 was at the end of year 1; with DD2 we have kept a bit more of a beady eye on things, as DD1 struggles with maths and obviously we want to do all we can to ensure that DD2 doesn't (so far, so good!). Levels were only reported at parents evening, targets for next steps - but practical stuff, not "we expect minilovecheese to be a level x by x time" - and no above, at or below attainment or effort levels.

But parent's evening tonight so will report back with more info - if I have any.

toolatehadyourchancemuffedit Wed 29-Jun-11 13:21:15

VforViennetta. At the first parent's consultation (year 2) they also lumped DD's reading and writing grade together. I know there is a difference between her levels in the two skills. She doesn't particularly enjoy books but reads and comprehends level 14 of ORT but her writing is definitely not at this level. They seemed to take the lower level on her report. It will be interesting to see what they do and how they report it at the end of the school year. The skills are different so I think it should be spilt out.

toolatehadyourchancemuffedit Wed 29-Jun-11 13:21:27

split out I mean

lovecheese Wed 29-Jun-11 13:24:38

toolate...etc, I am surprised that the reading and writing levels were lumped together as you say? They are tested separately, with a long and short writing task, and a reading comprehension test.

bright1 Wed 29-Jun-11 17:20:57

We just get copy and pasted reports too. We did get working at or below/ above level but doesn't really mean much.

Mum2be79 Wed 29-Jun-11 18:51:21

Average is 1A/1B. Although 2C is considered 'normal' as is 1C (depends on the birth date of child as older children in the same year group can be nearly a year older than their younger peers).

Writing: Being able to write half a page of A4 (biggish writing) with evidence of some punctuation. Mainly simple sentences but can use 'and' and may use other connectives such as 'when', 'then', 'because'. May have an adjective in there. Mainly flows. Can be read without the child deciphering it. Words spelt phonetically correct. Some HFWs spelt accurately.

Reading: Able to read about 3/4 sentences per page. It's difficult to explain this but if your child is on a book (book band blue, green or orange) then that is 'about right'. Yellow is slightly below but in our school considered 'Year One'. Most of my summer borns are here.

Maths: Can add and subtract single digit numbers mentally. Use a labelled number line to add/subtract 'bigger numbers'. Can read and write 2-digit numbers, order numbers, read number sentences, begin to identify doubles and halves, odds and evens and number buddies to ten. recognise common 2D and 3D shapes and describe their properties in simple detail. Tell the time to the hour and half hour. Know and use simple positional language such as right, left, up, down, turn, etc. Know which tools to use to measure and some may be able to read standard units, especially on a ruler. Find 1/2 and 1/4 of a shape. Can explain a simple method and give a reason.

We don't give levels on Y1 reports but if parents want to know, we're happy to tell them. We don't do this as we've found that parents still don't understand what it means. Averages are: (This can differ by 1 sub level depending on the LEA's advice)

YR Point 6 on the profile
Y1 1b/1c
Y2 2c/2b (level 3 is seen as high achieving and child MUST be secure 3 i.e 3B)
Y3 2a/3c
Y4 3c/3b
Y5 3a/4c
Y6 4b/4a (level 5 is seen as high achieving)

Mum2be79 Wed 29-Jun-11 18:52:00

Sorry Y1 should be 1b/1a

WesternIsle Wed 29-Jun-11 18:57:37

Thanks for that Mum2be79 that's very indepth.

Well I know we seem to be okay with reading as we are bringing home chapter books.

No idea about writing.

Re maths, his report says he has covered all the topics you mention, but doesn't say if he's got a grasp of them.

Just says x did telling the time, x was learning about different shapes etc

dragonmother Wed 29-Jun-11 19:49:05

Mum would the descriptions you give be to achieve 1b or 1a? Or is it that if they do it very securely they get 1a and slightly less so 1b?

youarekidding Wed 29-Jun-11 21:54:38

Wow mum2be You've just made my day.

My DS (late Aug born) finished yr R with 6 or 7 points on everything.

Finished Yr 1 1B in writing/reading and 1A maths.

Just got KS1 results as Reading and writing 2B, maths 2A and science 3. grin

I didn't realise he was doing so well - he never seems that interested in schoolwork. wink

youarekidding Wed 29-Jun-11 21:56:33

Sorry that seemed rather boastful mummy. blush My parents are on holiday and I can't tell friends (not the done thing to discuss acheaivement in RL!) and when you typed the averages above I had a proud mummy moment. grin

WesternIsle Fri 01-Jul-11 09:08:14

Give him a hug - and tell him well done grin

I know how you feel though youarekidding - it's moments like this that you either find out there's a problem, and your child is struggling and needs some assistance, or otherwise you find out they've done very well.

Rest of the time you go along oblivious.

youarekidding Fri 01-Jul-11 17:42:16

Thanks. They are still watching him with regards to writing/reading as although acheiving OK he got a low score on DEST (dyslexia screening) on spacial memory. He does struggle with the processing of words and remembering of words and I am mildly dyslexic. I was so pleased he reached expected level but infants are passing a 'watch him' message to juniors iyswim?

Your right about being oblivious - I was oblivious he'd caught up in writing/reading.

His teachers exact words we're 'well he pulled it out the bag this year!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now