carrot
strawberries
crisps
some sort of choc biscuit bar crap rubbish

at the end of the day. we come home with
sandwich
carrot hmm

ChippyMinton Tue 28-Jun-11 19:54:07

DS1 has a large ham roll and a flapjack or piece of cheese.
DS2 has a large marmite roll and a yoghurt of some description, maybe a small pot of hulahoops or similar.
DD has a filled wrap, cheese, salami, yoghurt.

I don't think that's much, but they don't want big lunches because it cuts into playground time.
They do have big breakfasts and a snack when they get in.

WhenCanIWine Tue 28-Jun-11 19:54:14

How old is DD? It doesn't sound that much. DS (5) has sandwich, yoghurt, piece of fruit of some kind, small piece of cake/bun/biscuit, fruit juice carton. Why do you ask?

mumatron Tue 28-Jun-11 19:55:42

How old is she?

My 6yr old Dd has a sandwich or wrap
Piece of fruit
Yoghurt
Small biscuit/cake/ choc bar
Drink

veritythebrave Tue 28-Jun-11 19:56:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

clayre Tue 28-Jun-11 19:57:27

My dc have a sandwich, yoghurt, fruit, crisps or biscuit or cake, drink and ds has a babybel, they eat everything and still come home starving!

clayre Tue 28-Jun-11 19:57:54

Ds is 6 dd is 8

ZZZenAgain Tue 28-Jun-11 19:59:15

maybe she could have some bread? Roll with her flask of soup?

ZZZenAgain Tue 28-Jun-11 20:01:38

why do you think it is too much, is it coming back uneaten?

alphabetti Tue 28-Jun-11 20:05:03

DS is 7, DD is 5. In their pack lunches they usually have a sandwich or quorn nuggets and rice cakes, an apple, grapes carrots and cherry tomatoes, a cheesestring, jelly pot, a small cake or choc biscuit and a drink of dialuted squash.

veritythebrave Tue 28-Jun-11 20:05:07

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 28-Jun-11 20:05:19

Unless the soup you are giving her is very substantial, then imo she is not having enough. No carbohydrate apart from a small cake (and sometimes crisps) So she is having peas, strawberries, soup, small cake. sometimes crisps?
Where is the protein? (apologies if it is a hearty ham or lentil soup!). I would ditch the crisps and/or cake. Add a protein filled sandwich, or a bread roll plus some cheese or similar. Is the drink very nutritious (such as a yogurt/milk based smoothie?) If it is just water or juice then not enough imo.

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 28-Jun-11 20:08:34

Sorry forgot to add what my dd has (she is 7 and sometimes complains it is not enough, I think it is!)
No snack - she can have free school fruit if she wants.
Sandwich such as lean ham and cucumber or 2 small slices of leftover pizza.
salad (chopped cucumber and pepper)
yogurt
Fruit - chopped up fresh peach today, apple yesterday. sometimes dried fruit such as apricots/raisin.
Drink - water, diluted juice (pure juice not squash), milkshake or smoothie.
If drink has been water then I may add small bag of cookies or crisps or similar but not everyday. 1-2 times per week maximum
( but of course according to her everyone has 2 bags of crisps a day, plus chocolate. hmm)

veritythebrave Tue 28-Jun-11 20:09:58

muminthecity Tue 28-Jun-11 20:10:31

Doesn't sound a lot to me at all! DD has a sandwich/wrap/pitta with ham/tuna and cucumber, box of grapes, banana or apple, choc biscuit or homemade cake, yoghurt and a drink.

bibbitybobbityhat Tue 28-Jun-11 20:10:56

Mine have a drink, a sandwich containing protein, a piece of fruit or grapes or cherry tomatoes, a frube or a piece of cheese, and sometimes (about twice a week) a packet of mini cheddars or hula hoops or something like that.

ZZZenAgain Tue 28-Jun-11 20:12:42

I don't see how anyone could think that is too much for lunch verity. Maybe it looks a lot because of the flask. I think it could be a bit more tbh

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 28-Jun-11 20:13:16

If she doesn't like bread much would she eat crackers/wraps or similar?

evolucy7 Tue 28-Jun-11 20:17:56

DDs 4 & 5, have;

Grapes - Morning Snack

Marmite or Peanut Butter sandwiches
Cubes of Cheese
Cucumber or Cherry Tomatoes
Blueberries
A small Chocolate, like Celebrations/Heroes
Carton of Fruit Juice

They usually eat it all, sometimes leave 1 or 2 items, oddly they sometimes leave the chocolate saying they didn't have time!

mumblebum Tue 28-Jun-11 20:19:18

Doesn't sound like much at all to me. DD(7) and DS(4) have: sandwich (made with one slice of bread), yoghurt tube, apple (DD has hers for her morning snack), raisins, humzinger, fruit winder, couple of biscuits (ginger nuts/jaffa cakes/rich tea type thing), drink.

DD seems to prefer a selection of little bits rather than one more substantial sandwich. She eats it all. DS eats about half but gets to pick and choose a bit, although pre-school make them eat the sandwiches first. He often demolishes whatever is left on the way home. Neither of them are skinny, but they aren't remotely overweight either.

Insanity Tue 28-Jun-11 20:19:33

Doesn't sound alot to me either, but I know my kids get a fair bit in their lunch boxes compared to some of their friends at school. In theirs they have:

Sandwich/Roll, yoghurt, cheese, 2 pieces of fruit (one for snack), fruit flakes, and a chocolate biscuit, plus a juice or smoothie.

The lunch boxes come back empty and the children come home starving!

thisisyesterday Tue 28-Jun-11 20:25:01

doesn't sound like much to me.

ds1 who is 6 has:
cheese and cucumber sandwiches
a yoghurt
pot of tomatoes, olives, red pepper and cucumber
piece of fruit
bit of flapjack or a biscuit or some crisps

mid-morning snack is provided by school

Elibean Tue 28-Jun-11 20:25:50

dd 7 has a sandwich (brown bread so filling, but small in size) with either humus, marmite, ham or cheese. Raw veggies. Fruit smoothie or fruit. A biscuit. She often comes back with bits uneaten, but not always so I keep putting them in. She gets fruit at snack time, along with the rest of her class.

I used to give her much more, but have learnt not to wink

VinoEsmeralda Tue 28-Jun-11 20:34:47

DS who is 7 has 2 sandwiches with ham or other meat, slice of raisin bread, fruit ( apple, banana or orange), yoghurt, a carrot or sugar snaps and a small treat ( popcorn, small flapjack or a biscuit) and has water with it.

DD who is 5 has 2 sandwiches with ham or cheese, fruit ( apple, orange or some sort of berries), yoghurt, carrot or cucumber and a small treat ( see above)

They get fruit from school and usually they eat most but often the leave the crusts with rahter a lot of bread still uneaten.

Mine are always hungry, especially DD who is v skinny but then they are v active kids

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now