Talk

Advanced search

Parents 'evenings' during working day - is this usual?

(19 Posts)
SarkySpanner Mon 27-Jun-11 11:21:23

Our school has recently changed to only giving slots been 3.30 and 5pm.

Is this usual or should I mention how inconvenient this is. Tbh I can leave work early to make this but I'm starting to feel like I'm taking the piss with how flexible I'm asking my work to be.

pfbornot Mon 27-Jun-11 11:24:25

Ours has slots 4-5.30 so I suppose it is relatively normal. If you can't make it at our school, the teacher will ususally try to make an alternative arrangement.

Portofino Mon 27-Jun-11 11:25:03

Ours are always 3.30 to 6

Euphemia Mon 27-Jun-11 11:29:27

Ours offers one evening where appointments are between 3.30pm and 5pm, and another evening where they are between 6pm and 8pm.

I have worked in a school where all the appointments were at the earlier time, but that was because most of the pupils' parents either didn't work, or worked shifts, so in fact that time suited most.

Tell the school - otherwise they'll think everyone's happy with the situation.

mankyscotslass Mon 27-Jun-11 11:32:13

Our parents evenings are 3-30 til 6 for the first one, and 3.30 til 7 for the main one.

Elibean Mon 27-Jun-11 11:33:17

Ours are in the day time for Infant school - but the teachers always give working parents the option of an evening slot.

darwin Mon 27-Jun-11 11:35:17

Ours are during the day too, works well here and the school are very accommodating if we cannot make the times.

SarkySpanner Mon 27-Jun-11 11:44:03

Thanks all smile

And don't get me started on how they plan to see 30 sets of patents in 90 minutes...

Euphemia Mon 27-Jun-11 11:51:12

Do you end up with daft appointment times like us? 4.23pm? 6.54pm? When you know they'll be running at least 40 minutes late the whole evening owing to pushy parents who should really have made an appointment with the teacher by themselves at another time? grin

SarkySpanner Mon 27-Jun-11 11:55:02

Tbh I don't blame the 'pushy' parents. I blame the system that thinks that 3 minutes per child is enough time. We always take longer than our allowed slot and I don't feel guilty in the slightest. Our school actively discourages parents from attending unless there is a particular issue to be discussed which I think is fecking ludicrous.

Euphemia Mon 27-Jun-11 12:17:56

When I was teaching, we allowed 10 minutes per parent and we were instructed to stand up at the end of the time slot and make it clear (politely!) that the interview was coming to an end. I used to move the classroom clock to somewhere I could see it over the parent's shoulder. grin We offered to see them another time if they still had things they wanted to discuss.

I think a lot of the teachers at DD's school just aren't assertive enough to do that. It's selfish on the part of the parents, and irresponsible on the part of the teachers - some parents have three or four children in the school and it then fouls up other teachers' schedules as well as inconveniencing the parents waiting their turn.

teacherwith2kids Mon 27-Jun-11 12:28:04

Euphemia, I have been on the receiving end of the 10-minutes-and-you're-out treatment - it was obvious that we had more to discuss, so we agreed that we should make another appointment and the next week I had an hour 1 to 1 with DS's teacher.

I have no problems at all with that. I suggested to my school that we should do the same but it was felt to be 'too rude' - I suppose implementing it for the first time is a bit tricky, but for my DC's school everyone is used to it so it is just how it works...

SarkySpanner Mon 27-Jun-11 12:32:56

If we had a 10 minute slot I would definitely keep to time smile

And if the teacher offered an extra meeting to talk about thing further I would be more than happy to take this up.

But I get a strong 'now or never' sense in parents evenings. It seems that this is our one chance to discuss our dc's progress.

And it would help if the teacher could remember who our child is smile

I'm aware that I'm sounding really grumpy. The truth is the dc go to a great school with (mostly) great teachers. But I do think they are really really crap at communicating with parents. Especially those parents who are seldom there at 3.30 for and informal chat.

Euphemia Mon 27-Jun-11 12:45:41

On a vaguely related topic, it's the last week of school here and we've still not had DD's report. confused Her teacher was off for about a month until a couple of weeks ago, however it would have been nice to have had the report in time for any problem areas to be tackled before the end of the year!

LovetheHarp Mon 27-Jun-11 13:02:58

At our school parent's evening is during the day, ie they close the school down and you get allocated any slot during the day, normally at 1 week's notice. You are also not allowed to bring the children so you need to - take a day off work AND pay for childcare for the day, if you are lucky to find somewhere. It is a nightmare. So no, I don't think yours is too bad in comparison!

SE13Mummy Mon 27-Jun-11 21:54:52

My school does one day of 1.30pm-6pm and another of 3.30pm-8pm. We're meant to allocate parents a 10 minute slot which I duly do but I space them 15 minutes apart i.e. 4pm then 4.15pm etc. so that parents have time to get from one end of the school to another if they are seeing teachers in other buildings and still be on time. It also means that parents can actually have 15 minutes (if they arrive on time!) and that my appointments usually run to schedule.

It does make for a long couple of days and, I suppose that giving 4.43pm start times and squeezing everyone in may mean I get home in time to see my own children for 5 minutes or so on parents' evenings days, but it's only a couple of times a year and it's the only opportunity I have to see some of the parents.

spanieleyes Mon 27-Jun-11 22:01:33

We have one parents "evening" from 1,30 until 5 and another from 3,30 until 7ish, depending on how many appointments are needed! For the afternoon one, all the children are in the hall/playground with the Head whilst we see parents, so they can bring in younger siblings if needed. After the meetings parents can take their children home rather than wait until the end of the afternoon.

halcyondays Mon 27-Jun-11 22:19:53

Ours are in the afternoons, usually between 1.00 and 4.00. A lot of parents I know work evenings so no matter when they have them, some parents are going to be inconvenienced.

basingstoke Mon 27-Jun-11 22:24:12

We have one in the afternoon and one in the evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now