Talk

Advanced search

Only has yr 2 teacher 3 days a week

(14 Posts)
clare40 Sun 26-Jun-11 22:02:56

Our dd teacher next year will only do a 3 day week in the classroom, and then two seperate teachers will do the the other two days. I am not very happy with this as I feel it leads to inconsistencies with teaching. Has anyone else got this? Is this usual? How would you feel?

UnSerpentQuiCourt Sun 26-Jun-11 22:11:47

I have done this as a teacher. Done well, you get the stengths and enthusiasms of three teachers, rather than just one - we have teachers who are very musical/artistic/sporty/speak French, etc. We do a lot of liaising, reporting and discussing about the children. Try it before you start worrying about it!

Beauregard Sun 26-Jun-11 22:11:47

dd1 had this in year 3 last year and was shared between 2 teachers.It is not an ideal situation because as you said ,inconsistencies do occur with homework tasks etc.We were glad when she went up to year 4.

Hulababy Sun 26-Jun-11 22:13:06

So she will have three teachers job sharing the class? Have school said why?

Two yes - very normal these days, but tbh I also would not be happy with three different teachers, not in infants.

Elibean Sun 26-Jun-11 22:13:34

Not heard of this - but do know that jobshares of 2 teachers 3/2 days per week have worked very well in our Y4. dd will have 3/2 days each teachers in Y3 next term...but I think I would worry a bit about 3 teachers, tbh.

UnSerpentQuiCourt Sun 26-Jun-11 22:17:12

3 teachers could be 2 teachers doing the class and someone else covering ppa time, so not that rare.

sleepwouldbenice Sun 26-Jun-11 22:21:21

we currently have a job share for year 3 with 2 teachers. Seems to work ok, they take different topics each (hand writing, spellings, ICT, RE, shapes, fractions etc etc) so they know how the class and individuals are doing for their specific topics rather than having to rely on telling each other everything. Mostly works well I think.

There is the odd time when say the teacher from the start of the week does not know about actvities planned for the second half and this can be a little frustrating but on the whole I would not say its had a negative impact and would agree it can have advantages of different skills, personalities etc

3 teachers of course is a further step, I dont see that there is any harm with asking how they will manage it to give you assurance that what they have planned will work.

Have they done this before?

clare40 Sun 26-Jun-11 22:23:52

We have a meeting next week to find out the full details, but I am not happy. From other parents I understand that one is a fully qualified teacher, and the other is a teaching assistant.

nooka Sun 26-Jun-11 22:40:06

ds had two teachers for a couple of years (Yr3/4) and it worked pretty well. His main teacher was the deputy head, so she was in school all the time, and then he had a part time teacher for the other two days. As his main teacher was at school all the time there weren't really any continuity issues.

I would be asking lots of questions about how this was going to be managed.

exoticfruits Sun 26-Jun-11 23:05:46

It works if they are similar and plan well. They should all be qualified teachers!

101learnmum Mon 27-Jun-11 19:25:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

swash Mon 27-Jun-11 19:39:56

Three sounds a lot. My friend's dd had this, and found it really tricky especially since she also had special teachers for music and PE. It's unacceptable to have a TA taking a class for a full day each week, surely.

Insanity Mon 27-Jun-11 22:24:33

My child's class had 3 teachers towards the end of this term. It has been a massive nightmare with no progress being made and the different styles of teaching and discipline being used. We were told that this wouldn't be a problem and notes would be passed about the children between teachers, clearly this hasn't happened. The report for end of term for my dc speaks volumes as you can tell they really don't know my child, lots of generic lines copied and pasted.

BoattoBolivia Mon 27-Jun-11 22:34:05

It sounds to me like a job share between the two teachers, then PPA time is covered by the TA. All teachers are entailed to 10% planning, preparation and assessment time, which they will also hopefully be using to liaise. The TA will probably be working from something that the teachers have planned.
I would want more information before I got too wound up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now