Talk

Advanced search

DD 5 has lost her best friend

(7 Posts)
puffling Fri 24-Jun-11 23:45:13

It's the time of the month and I'm sure this issue won't bother me so much once I've started!
Anyway, DD has had a best friend right thru' nursery and reception. My dd is shy, the friend is more confident and sociable. Despite this they've had a really strong bond and loved imaginary play together and little chats etc. The friend has suddenly moved on to a new friend and won't often allow dd to play any more, telling her to go away. DD has another friend but says she's sad because she and her friend used to play 'long games' which other friend doesn't do. I feel for her, but don't want to let her sense it's upset me a bit too. DD is not the type to approach groups of children and join in although loves playing with them once into a game.
Someone reassure me this is all typical, don't think i can face the roller coaster of the years ahead of dds friendships.

chopchopbusybusy Fri 24-Jun-11 23:50:01

I have two DDs, now teenagers, and unfortunately this is all very typical. Listen to the dramas. Encourage them to invite new friends round.

treas Sat 25-Jun-11 10:08:57

Look at the positives that can be gained from the situation - your dd will learn not to be tied to one child's friendship and will now be able to make a wider circle of friends.

I've always encouraged my dcs to play with everyone and not just stick to one friend for the very reason that friendships outgrow each other or best friend could be off sick or move away etc.

puffling Sat 25-Jun-11 10:11:20

Thanks both. I think it could be very positive for her as long as she's able to spread her wings.

mrz Sat 25-Jun-11 10:47:22

5 year olds are very fickle one week they are best friends the next not and then before you know it they are friends again...

MumblingRagDoll Mon 27-Jun-11 00:19:40

My DD has no lost 2 special friends...she's only almos 7! Granted hers both moved away...but it was truly heartbreaking!

I do see it as a growth opportunity...it's good for them to take on these challenges...and what your DD has experienced is sad but typical.

The 2nd friend my DD lost was rather a bossy kid....I secretly am glad!

Bonsoir Mon 27-Jun-11 06:41:12

My DD is 6 and best friends come and go, but I try to help her keep a range of friends on the go by encouraging her to invite different children round to play at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now