Talk

Advanced search

Information asked when starting school

(75 Posts)
SurreyDad Fri 24-Jun-11 16:50:39

Just a quickie - why would a school need to know the details of a child's GP? And when might a school actually use that information?

mumoverseas Fri 24-Jun-11 17:30:44

umm, if there was an emergency at school! If the child had an accident/fell ill and parent not contactable immediately? Not really rocket science!

meditrina Fri 24-Jun-11 17:33:46

I've never known why either - if it's an emergency, it's A&E. If it's not, it's parent pick up.

spanieleyes Fri 24-Jun-11 17:37:55

But when you take a child to A&E they ask for the child's GP, which is fine if the parent is there to answer but on many occasions, staff have arrived at A&E before the parents and can't hang on to book the child in until the parent arrives with the information. When we take any child to hospital, we take all medical information we have with us, common sense surely to provide the Gp's name?

Danthe4th Fri 24-Jun-11 17:40:39

also to keep records up to date with the school nurse for immunisations and the school eye tests etc. The records follow them up to high school and include any referrals that have to be done through the gp and any other agencys regarding a child needing extra support for speech or a learning difficulty.

pooka Fri 24-Jun-11 17:40:42

Yes - first question really asked at A&E is about their GP. So is right that the school should have that information to pass on in case the parents are not contactable or arrive at hospital after the child.

piprabbit Fri 24-Jun-11 17:44:05

Looking at it from the other perspective....why would a parent want to keep their DCs GP's name a secret from the school? It's not as if it is sensitive information.

meditrina Fri 24-Jun-11 18:26:58

I didn't mean to imply that I had a problem with supplying the information!

A&E will treat based on triaged medical need, and availability of GP details will not impinge on that. They can catch up with other desirable information in slower time.

AFAIK schools have no role in immunisation programmes, nor are eye tests carried out there any more. ISWYM on additional needs.

Isitreally Fri 24-Jun-11 18:37:38

Anyone who is looking after your child will normally ask this - it is pretty standard. When a child joins Rainbows or Cubs they ask for this information as well (and the dates of immunisations). It is in case of an emergency so that the child can be found in the system I guess. I am sure they would treat an injury at A&E with or without knowing the child's GP but it is something they always want you to tell them if you can.

mrz Fri 24-Jun-11 18:38:50

Schools in my area do have a role in immunisation programmes.
Children also have a medical at the end of reception year and in Y6 (height/ weight /eye test /hearing test) any children identified during the medical will be monitored annually as will any children identified by the school at any stage.

SurreyDad Fri 24-Jun-11 19:20:23

Makes sense. Thanks for your responses. Shame the school doesn't explain why they need the information - you feel awkward asking! Although with the NHS database, there should be no need for the school to have this information - the hospital will be able to find out. And its not as if the school could contact the GP - the GP won't provide any information without seeking parental consent first.

SurreyDad Fri 24-Jun-11 19:22:48

piprabbit - why would I want to supply information if I do not know or feel there is a need for them to know it regardless of whether it is sensitive or not?

mrz Fri 24-Jun-11 19:24:22

The NHS data base doesn't work [sigh]

SurreyDad Fri 24-Jun-11 20:30:47

mumoverseas - a GP won't be coming out to an emergency - thats what the ambulance service is for!

spanieleyes - I wouldn't be asking if it was common sense. I have never booked my child into A&E, so I wouldn't know what their proceedure is. But I do know that the information the school has asked for is is on the NHS database - which is why I'm questioning their need to know it. Just trying to protect my child's privacy, thats all.

RustyBear Fri 24-Jun-11 20:35:50

How does telling the school which GP your child goes to compromise their privacy?

cat64 Fri 24-Jun-11 20:43:01

Message withdrawn

mrz Fri 24-Jun-11 20:55:29

and you do realise that school nurses can access the NHS data base when it does work don't you?

SurreyDad Fri 24-Jun-11 20:57:11

rustybear - giving out unnecessary information is compromising privacy.

MissTinaTeaspoon Fri 24-Jun-11 20:59:06

In the hospital where I work you need GP details to generate a hospital number. Without a hospital number we can't do X-rays or bloods which may be needed in an emergency.

(I'm not saying that that's a good system but that's how it is)

RustyBear Fri 24-Jun-11 21:00:50

But what harm can it do? What do you think the school are going to do with the information?

SurreyDad Fri 24-Jun-11 22:00:01

I don't know, rusty. That's the issue. That's why I'm asking. Perhaps they should state why they are asking for the information and what they are going to do with it, as they are required to do under the Data Protection Act?

cat64 Fri 24-Jun-11 22:17:49

Message withdrawn

mrz Fri 24-Jun-11 22:23:08

The only information you are providing is the name of the doctor (address/phone number?) not full medical records it's hardly a state secret is it?

RustyBear Fri 24-Jun-11 22:28:55

What I meant was, why would you think they would use it for anything that was not in the interests of your child?

I work in a junior school and sometimes help in the office and I know that if a child is taken to hospital the GP info has to go with them. There was one other occasion it was used but I can't give details of that.

Have you asked the school what they do with the information?

piprabbit Fri 24-Jun-11 22:31:07

If the school aren't to be trusted to hold information that may be essential in a medical emergency, when can they be trusted?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now