Talk

Advanced search

Fun books aimed at 6 year olds

(13 Posts)
appleorange Fri 24-Jun-11 11:30:58

My year 1 ds reads really well (now free reading), but i am having problems finding appropriate books for him to read as they all seem aimed at older children and go over his head a bit. He loved some of the Dick King Smith books any other ideas welcomed.

muffinflop Fri 24-Jun-11 11:42:06

Roald Dahl

My 6 year old loves these

We've had the same problem with comprehension. He was sent home with a Percy Jackson book last week. I sent it back and told his teacher that, while he could read it, it was way beyond him. He's actually being allowed to take books in from home now as their 'free reading' books aren't actually that great for his age.

munstersmum Fri 24-Jun-11 11:43:33

Dinosaur cove series
Dirty Bertie
Just William as adapted by Martin Jarvis

pantaloons Fri 24-Jun-11 11:43:51

My DS is 6 and enjoys the Horrid Henry books, he has read some Dick King Smith and Roald Dahl, so I would imagine they are around the same level.

BadBagel Fri 24-Jun-11 11:45:56

What about Jeremy Strong books, they are funny and age appropriate smile

PrinceHumperdink Fri 24-Jun-11 11:46:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ASByatt Fri 24-Jun-11 11:49:03

My nearly 6 year old is really into Jeremy Strong - still getting used to seeing him sitting reading to himself then bursting into laughter. Very sweet.

I'd wondered about the Mr Majeika books, but haven't found any in our library yet - anyone have have an opinion?

OP - sorry to hijack a bit but it could help both of us!

ASByatt Fri 24-Jun-11 11:50:29

Hmm we've read all the 'How to Train Your Dragon' books but shared them as family books, some of the vocab might need explanation for a Yr 1 reading independently?

cat64 Fri 24-Jun-11 11:53:31

Message withdrawn

chocolateshoes Fri 24-Jun-11 11:56:26

my DS loves the Usborne Young Readers series https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_21?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usborne+young+readers&sprefix=usborne+young+readers which has classics such as The 3 Musketeers, Around the World in 80 days and so on....

crazygracieuk Fri 24-Jun-11 12:13:10

The "Daisy and the trouble with" books have a female lead but she's a tomboy so it's suitable for boys too.

betterwhenthesunshines Fri 24-Jun-11 16:56:29

Mr Gum series - slightly off beat humour.
Flat Stanley
Captain Underpants ( I hate them, but they love them!)

We had this with our DS too - could read anything but you had to be really careful that the story subject wasn;t completely in appropriate.

blackeyedsusan Fri 24-Jun-11 18:24:38

mr majeika books are a similar level to dick king smith....may be not quite as well written. some books seem to have very long chapters and each chapter seems to be a separate story. they were on offer at the book people so we have 14 of them. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now