Talk

Advanced search

Should you be told when your child has been hit/scratched in nursery or reception?

(6 Posts)
schmee Thu 23-Jun-11 19:39:26

That's it really - wondering how much I should expect to be informed by the teachers at pick-up when one of the my children has been hurt by another child during the morning. They are currently in the "pre-reception" year of nursery.

They've come home a few times with marks from a couple of children, and also with scratches etc from being knocked over (accidentally I think) by other kids.

In my previous experience of day nursery and a different nursery school I expected these sorts of things to be reported, but I don't think this is the case at their current school.

How do other schools/nursery schools (as opposed to daycare) deal with this?

Grockle Thu 23-Jun-11 19:42:48

I would expect to be told. I work with older children but they have SEN and sometimes a child will go home with a scratch or mark on them from an incident that happened during the day. I always inform parents of any marks or accidents.

sunnyday123 Thu 23-Jun-11 20:06:55

my in my dds school i only really get told if she has a bang to the head as a result. In dd2s private nursery i get told everything apart from childs name obviously. I would expect to be told what happened as i have to sign accident book saying i've been told.

cory Thu 23-Jun-11 20:17:28

That depends. In cases where there is bullying or constant injuring from the same child, certainly. Or where there might be head injuries. But every time somebody has accidentally bumped into them or they have tripped and fallen- no, I don't think so. Certainly not in the case of a 4yo or older who is verbal and can tell for themselves if they care that much.

schmee Thu 23-Jun-11 20:50:20

Interesting - yes, I expected when we joined the school that I would need to sign an incident report when things like that happened. But the only time I've had to sign it is for genuine accidents that haven't involved another child. When they go into reception I guess I'll have less expectation that it will be reported to me.

I've seen the teachers focus on getting the victim not to make a fuss, so it worries me slightly that there is a desire to get kids to pretend nothing has happened...

dixiechick1975 Thu 23-Jun-11 21:04:50

Yes daycare nursery we had to sign for every little thing - child fell over tiny red mark - can you sign accident form.

School nursery/reception no - they do try and tell if they see me or DD tells me. DD's injuries have all been cut knees though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now