Talk

Advanced search

School Dinners

(3 Posts)
Fifis25StottieCakes Thu 23-Jun-11 17:20:57

Hi

My 9 year old daughter has all ways stayed for school dinners. The school has a very strict policy and does not like children staying fo packed lunch.
She has always enjoyed her dinners.

8 weeks ago the head dinner lady who had worked their for 20+ years left. My daughter started complaing that the lunches were awful. 2 weeks ago she refused to stay for dinner anymore and demanded a packed lunch. She doesnt like packed lunch so i knew there was something up. She said the dinners are horrible. The new head cook has started putting cheese in the mashed potato and altering the ingredients, putting sauces on things. 90% of the school were on dinners, now 75% are staying for packed lunch. I spoke to the secretary about it and she said they are going to have to do something about it as the school have worked hard to get everone on dinners.

The problem is the head who has always pushed for everyone to be on dinners is hardly there due to leaving in September. I am now making 2 packed lunches everyday as my other DD is coming in starving saying she hasnt ate anything for dinner as it was horrible.

I spoke to the head dinner lady today and she says that a few have went onto packed lunch and the others have followed. I told her a lot of the kids dont like the dinners so have gone onto packed lunch. She said she has changed things as the old menu had things on the kids dont like. I told her this is not the case. She doesnt seem to think she has changed the menu and the kids dont like the changes. I have spoke to loads of the parent and even the ones on free dinners are making packed lunch.

Has anyone else has similar problems as i dont know who to see now. The school just seem to be ignoring it. Surel they want more kids on dinners than 25% of the school.

Euphemia Thu 23-Jun-11 18:11:23

Wow - a school where they have a choice over what to cook! In my county every school has the same rolling menu.

Not much can be done this side of the holidays - get the PTA to raise it with the new head in September.

Fifis25StottieCakes Thu 23-Jun-11 18:18:19

I dont think they have a choice as the menu seems to be the same as what my dd's friends get at the other school. She seems to be adding things like cheese to the mash and sauces for the meat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now