Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything we can do?

(18 Posts)
samama22 Thu 23-Jun-11 15:55:55

Hi,
Right where do i start, my daughter is in year 5 and moving upto year 6 in september, on friday i and all the other parents recieved letters about which teachers are in which years at school, my daughter was and still is really upset as she will be having the same teacher as she had in y4, this year she found it difficult and wasnt happy and i know she didnt do well in this class, she had a slump in learning that year.... she is a very bright young lady in y5 she has made fantastic progress and loves learning, I know quite a few other parents feel the same way about this teacher, i feel as it is her most important year at primary school with sats an all today i had a appointment to disscus with the head, that didnt do much good what a waste of time, apparently according to the head ive been the only one there complaining about this teacher....there advise is they will keep an eye on it!!!!!
What i would like to know is Is there anything else i or we (other parents) can do?
also i dont understand why the teachers can have the choice to move around different yerars, if she has only taught in year 4 why can she teach y6?

GypsyMoth Thu 23-Jun-11 16:02:50

different key stages? who knows. but honestly,the SATS dont make it an important year at all!

what do you want? the teacher moved round to suit you?

GypsyMoth Thu 23-Jun-11 16:03:37

also,same teacher means continuity,surely thats a plus?

IndigoBell Thu 23-Jun-11 16:05:33

You can move school......

Seriously, that's the only thing you can do.

sittinginthesun Thu 23-Jun-11 16:18:07

Have a long chat with your daughter about why she didn't enjoy/thrive in Year 4? Was it just a personality clash?

DS1 had a problem with a teacher at the start of Year 2, and when I went to meet her to discuss it, I found her absolutely terrifying! I told DS1 I could see the problem, and we had a long chat about ways to handle her - I see it as good training for dealing with unreasonable adults throughout your life. He has now worked out exactly what makes her tick, and enjoys her classes, probably far more than others in that class.

The school have to move teachers around every so often, it's good for the school to have a fresh view on things.

TheOriginalFAB Thu 23-Jun-11 16:19:58

Sounds like your daughter needs a lesson in the real world. Unless this teacher has physically or mentally harmed your child there isn't a lot you can do. She will have to learn to get on with her work and not blame the teacher for her ability/work slipping.

samama22 Thu 23-Jun-11 16:26:06

I personally feel that this teacher is more interseted in how she looks than teaching the kids and just doesnt seem to click with them.....the original y6 teacher has moved down to y4 yes i just want them to move it back to how it was, my daughters already hating the fact of y6 and shes not even finished y5. plus doesnt it count that im not the only one who feels this way, thers at least 7 other parents that i know of that has complaind to the head also....And yes i know moving schools is a option my daughter has also suggested this as she feels so strongly about..thanks for the help anyways xx

Isitreally Thu 23-Jun-11 16:58:27

amama22 - it isn't that people are unsympathetic but there is nothing you can do at all even if all the parents feel the same way.
The decisions have been made. Teachers are often moved through the year groups and are qualified to teach a wide age range of children. Moving around broadens their experience and is something most schools do. Staff opinion and retention also counts eg it may be that the current Year 6 teacher is fed up of doing the SATS year and wants to teach a lower year group. She may be too good to lose and the Head has granted her request to stop her getting a job elsewhere. It may be any number of things.
The only thing you can do aside from moving school, is to try to make it as positive for your DD as possible and keep an eye on how things go in September.

samama22 Thu 23-Jun-11 17:10:17

Isitreally - Thank you for your response, its just so annoying that her last year of school wont go as i or she wants it...lol at least they have listened and will take it in consideration for september and keep an eye on the whole thing...thanks for all your answers x

AMumInScotland Thu 23-Jun-11 17:10:55

The thing is, even if several parents have complained, they haven't actually made any allegations which would mean the teacher ought to be disciplined in some way. The fact that your daughter doesn't get on well with her is not an actual offence which the head teacher would have to act on.

So the school has every right to rearrange the teachers however they decide to, and it isn't up to the parents to say "We don't like it, do it our way"

As others have said, the best way to approach it is to talk to your daughter about why she finds this teacher difficult, and help her develop some strategies for dealing with the situation.

In secondary school she will have to deal with all sorts of teachers, so it is a good skill to learn.

TheOriginalFAB Thu 23-Jun-11 17:11:27

In our school teachers teach a different class every year so parents never know who is going to teach their child in the September until July.

DeWe Thu 23-Jun-11 17:19:44

That happened to me. But I found the teacher was much better in year 6, and I had a really good year.
The teacher was much more relaxed with the year 6s and it showed.

superjobeespecs Thu 23-Jun-11 17:19:52

when i was in primary our class thrived so well with 1 teacher we had her for 3 years she moved up with us which at the time was unheard of and was the first time -in our county at least- it'd happened. poor teachers son had an accident that left him part parylised (sp) thru the princes trust halfway thru primary 6 and had to leave then we got a new head who was an arse and a half when our teacher came back and wouldnt let us have her again sad

anyway my point is that there is something the head can do about it if they actually wanted to.

IndigoBell Thu 23-Jun-11 17:24:36

The HT has to place this teacher somewhere.

They can't fire her.........

Is it acceptable for her to be given to the Y4s? Why?

wannaBe Thu 23-Jun-11 17:25:44

"plus doesnt it count that im not the only one who feels this way, thers at least 7 other parents that i know of that has complaind to the head also...." no, it doesn't. There are any number of reasons why teachers are moved around within a school, most of which are not made clear to the parents.

Unless there is a specific alagation that has been made against this teacher, parents simply not liking her is not a reason for her to be moved elsewhere.

Yes you could move schools but there are no guarantees that a different teacher would be to your dd's liking.

Ultimately no-one can have a perfect relationship with everyone, that's just life and your dd just needs to learn to deal with that.

mrz Thu 23-Jun-11 18:11:37

samama22 usually head teachers move staff around it is very unusual for staff to stay in one year group throughout their career. Having qualified teacher status means in theory at least a teacher can teach from 3 to 18 year olds.

clam Thu 23-Jun-11 18:28:14

"I personally feel that this teacher is more interseted in how she looks than teaching the kids and just doesnt seem to click with them2

hmm Really??

basingstoke Thu 23-Jun-11 18:36:10

If she is incompetent they can fire her, but only after a period of support and training in which she had failed to make progress. Is she incompetent though,or is she just not as good as the year 5 teacher? In the latter case there's not much you can do, but I guarantee if 7 parents have been to the head about her she will be having a difficult time...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now