(4 Posts)
IndigoBell Thu 23-Jun-11 13:41:43

School Sats Review

KEY PROPOSALS

Replace creative writing test with teacher assessment during the year

Have a test of spelling, punctuation and grammar

Keep maths and reading tests

Publish data to reflect progress

Publish separate data for pupils who have been at the school for two years or more

Give sick pupils up to a week to take the test

What do people think?

And is there any chance this will be in place by next year?

Feenie Thu 23-Jun-11 15:59:15

Replace creative writing test with teacher assessment during the year - excellent. Will save me hours of re-mark/appeal time, and much better to judge a child's writing over more than 2 pieces.

*Have a test of spelling, punctuation and grammar*- fine by me.

Keep maths and reading tests - I suppose. Still rigid, narrow snapshots though, but at least the marking is better.

Publish data to reflect progress <rolls eyes>

Publish separate data for pupils who have been at the school for two years or more Uh-huh.

Give sick pupils up to a week to take the test Will stop the hounding of poorly level 5 children by a few heads, I guess!

IndigoBell Thu 23-Jun-11 17:23:03

Yes, getting rid of the writing assessment sounds good.

I'd be really pleased if schools were encouraged to care more about 'spelling, punctuation and grammar'

Give sick pupils a week sounds only sensible.

Maths test doesn't bother me.

Reading test is a bit weird though isn't it - or at least misnamed, because they aren't judging the ability to read........

mrz Thu 23-Jun-11 17:59:20

True it's a comprehension test and this years included part of an article from the Times hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: