Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Teacher of Deaf

(8 Posts)
TwigletStiglet Thu 23-Jun-11 12:05:53

My DS, in year 1, is visited every half term by his Teacher of the Deaf from the local Advisory Teaching Service as he is severely deaf in one ear and is a hearing aid wearer since January. Should the school (mainstream) have anything formal in place to recognise this and the recommendations she's made in her recent review report?

I've requested a meeting with Senco and his class teacher as I feel from seeing his work at a recent open day that he's seriously struggling with literacy and I'm not really sure what I should expect them to be "officially" doing and how they'll give him the support he needs. At present the only way it seems to be recognised is that the Senco/Head has his spare batteries in her desk drawer!

HarrietJones Thu 23-Jun-11 12:18:48

Should have School action plus due to outside agency involvement and an IEP.
Have school said he is struggling? Can you meet with class teacher & ask about his progress as you were concerned?

If they aren't helpful the Special needs board here are V helpful !

TwigletStiglet Thu 23-Jun-11 13:51:22

Thanks Harriet, I did wonder if he warranted a School Action Plus/IEP given ToDs involvement. I speak to them fairly regularly and did come away from last parent's meeting feeling fobbed off by class teacher but I think it's time to be more formal about it.

blackeyedsusan Thu 23-Jun-11 23:05:59

what is school action plus?

fascinatingcreature Thu 23-Jun-11 23:16:12

Twiglet - I would request a meeting with Class teacher, Senco, and ToD.
Different areas have different paperwork approaches. For some places this might be an IEP meeting. Where I work we would all be contributing to an inclusion passport (including you and your ds) We would also examine the provision map and ensure that it is meeting your ds's needs at waves 1,2 and 3.
Ideally your SENCo should have called this meeting but a pleasant request for everyone involved to talk together should be met positively. Just try to be flexible about timing for the meeting if you can.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Thu 23-Jun-11 23:25:40

What Harriet said! And his IEP should be reviewed with you at least twice a year and should be SMART. Specific, measurable, achievable, repeatable and time-related. Have a look in the SEN Code of Practice linky at School Action Plus and IEPs.

Blackeyedsusan, school action when a school recognises that a child needs extra help and provides an individual education plan to specify their targets and what help they should be given. School action plus is the same but outside agencies eg, EP, SALT, advisory teaching services etc are involved. The next level of SEN is a Statement which involves a thorough assessment of needs and usually some sort of 1:1 is required.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Thu 23-Jun-11 23:27:21

Crossed with FC!

TwigletStiglet Sun 26-Jun-11 10:10:12

Thanks for your responses EJ & FC. Sorry for delay, not been on here for a few days. It's really helpful to have it all explained like that smile Requested meeting last Wednesday but not heard anything yet.

I think the whole lack of IEP/SA+ has been compounded by a couple of things being the SENCO (=Headteacher) is retiring at end of term so is super busy and DS is exceptionally good at Maths and ok at reading so they just seem to be leaving him to get on with it in spite of my repeated chats with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now