Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

School fair - did you do Pimms? How much to charge please?

(19 Posts)
lonelyplanetmum Thu 23-Jun-11 09:17:48

Hi- we have decided to do Pimms and lemonade at the school summer fair.(I know parents are divided on whether this is appropriate,but we have decided to do it!) We have no idea how much to charge though! If you had Pimms at your fair how much did you charge per glass? Thank you!

bobblehat Thu 23-Jun-11 09:23:00

We only do tea and coffee at ours so not sure. Do you need a special licence to sell alochol?

SpottyFrock Thu 23-Jun-11 09:26:11

We applied for a temp 1day license but I'm not sure what it's called (this was 4yrs ago). We sold tea, coffee and pimms. We sold Pimms for £2.50 a glass because most people bought two and it meant less need to give out change. I have seen other schools sell it for £2 a glass though.

propatria Thu 23-Jun-11 09:32:44

Yep,you need a licence(and no you cant get around it by giving it away and asking for a donation) so you either need a friendly landlord or you get your own,youll need ten days notice and itll cost you (£21?, £28?,something like that)

sandyballs Thu 23-Jun-11 09:41:10

Ring the council or look online for a temp licence or ask at school. Turns out our new school chef has an annual licence. Not sure why, maybe in case the kids fancy wine with lunch grin

bizzieb33 Thu 23-Jun-11 10:25:31

In my area you need to do a TEN (temporary event notification) which you find on the council website, it needs to filled in if you are selling alcahol &/ or having a band.

Elibean Thu 23-Jun-11 11:09:29

We sold it for £2 this year, up from £1.50. Quite a large paper cup, though!

CaurnieBred Thu 23-Jun-11 11:31:21

I was told you could "buy raffle tickets" and then these could be swapped for drinks, if we hadn't got the licence in time. No idea if this is true though.

mustdash Thu 23-Jun-11 11:36:10

We charged £2 for a cup, £11 for a jug. Sold loads, and had lots of very happy parents who indulged their DC with lots of extra spending money. grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 23-Jun-11 11:37:45

Think our parents would faint is we charged £3 a glass for anything.

propatria Thu 23-Jun-11 11:40:42

CaurnieBred,nope it isnt true,if it was then why would anyone pay for a licence?, its an urban myth,I know of one pta who did as you suggested,and found themselves in rather a lot of trouble as they had forgotten one of the Govs was actually a deputy chief constable....

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 23-Jun-11 11:48:52

I've never heard of that one either, one quick call to the local council's licensing section or the licensing officer at the local police should clarify the situation.

PandaG Thu 23-Jun-11 11:52:20

you will also need to check with the local authority - we are no longer allowed to sell alcohol on school premises in Sheffield, whether we applied for a licence or not, authority don't allow it.

PatriciaHolm Thu 23-Jun-11 13:09:15

We would probably charge £2/£2.50 but we are in a fairly affluent area of Surrey. We charge £2.50 for a glass of wine at evening events and £10 per bottle.

Here we can get a temporary events license for fetes etc which covers the sale of alcohol; I did it online, cost £21 and it was approved within 24 hours. This includes events where alcohol is supplied in exchange for donations too, as Propatria says.

roadkillbunny Thu 23-Jun-11 13:23:54

Our school does pimms at the fate, they charge either £2.50 or £3.50 (or somewhere in the middle, I can't quite remember, this years fate is on Sunday so will soon find out!) for quite a large tumbler. One thing though, who ever made it last year at ours put a huge amount of mint in the mix. It was foul. I bought a glass thinking 'lovely, sit back relax while DH child wrangles' and was bitterly disappointed and couldn't handle more then 2 sips. There were abandoned glasses of pimms everywhere!

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Thu 23-Jun-11 13:32:55

you do have to have a temporary event licence,it costs £21 & you send one copy to the council & 1 to the police,but make sure you have allowed enough time for it though as they get very busy processing them at this time of year.We also have a lotteries licence that gets renewed every year so that we can sell raffle tickets at events & do our "100" club.
We are doing pimms this year & will be charging £2 per glass but we are also having a bar with kegs of beer,wine & some champers to trial it (on sale or return).

Ihavenoclue Thu 23-Jun-11 13:39:12

There is no legal way to get around selling alcohol without a license. A TENS licence can be easily obtained from the Council licensing dept for around £25.
Including alcohol as included in the price of an entry ticket, or exchange for a token, raffle ticket or similar is selling the alcohol and a licence is required.
The TENS license needs 10 clear days notice but some council say 12 as they don't count the day you give it in or the day of the event.You need 3 copies. One for the council. You send a copy to the local Police and post a copy outside the event. It's very simple. You can sort them well in advance if you wish.
You need an alcohol license if you are have a raffle with alcohol and tickets are sold off the premises and over a time.
You don't need an alcohol licence if you have alcohol on a tombola or as raffle prize if the raffle is drawn on the day and only sold on site.

Ihavenoclue Thu 23-Jun-11 13:40:03

whoops didn't realising you a were posting the same info sorry

lonelyplanetmum Thu 23-Jun-11 16:04:32

Thank you everybody- those posts were really helpful.Just a reminder of how fab Mumsnet is!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: