Talk

Advanced search

Please come and tell me how to help dd with her spellings

(15 Posts)
veritythebrave Wed 22-Jun-11 17:59:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bobala Wed 22-Jun-11 18:50:58

I would start with the alphabet and check she knows each letter sound and then letter name. Then move onto double sounds eg - ai/oo/ie etc. Some work on syllables and breaking words into their parts - hearing them and writing them. Eye and ear tests to check she is hearing sounds correctly and seeing things clearly in the 1st place. And I would be hassling school to do some more Literacy based assessments pdq. Good luck

TeamLemon Wed 22-Jun-11 18:59:44

Hey! She's writing, so that's something! grin
She is using her phonic knowledge to blend sounds and create words.
Agree with bobala, she needs some syllables work.

Mistakes like drinck for drink are "fair" in a way - words with the same sound ending are often spelled that way clock/sock/hack/^fuck!^. Ask her how to spell sink, think, wink. The ck/k sound depends on if it has a vowel before it.

Many adults struggle with words like sausage, potato, chocolate and sandwiches.

veritythebrave Wed 22-Jun-11 19:54:42

sarahfreck Thu 23-Jun-11 14:15:44

You could try a structured phonic spelling programme like Apples and Pears if you wanted to do something more formal for 10 mins a day.

paddingtonbear1 Thu 23-Jun-11 14:21:10

Verity, my dd would spell those words in a similar way - she's also year 3. School haven't raised it as a serious issue, but like you I am concerned. I'm not sure the best way to help though. Does your dd have spelling tests each week? dd learnt her words and did ok in the tests, but a couple of weeks later would have forgotten them!

veritythebrave Thu 23-Jun-11 16:25:03

CecilyP Thu 23-Jun-11 19:45:06

I don't think your dd needs to learn letter sounds, with the possible exception of revising the ch sound, but rather she needs to learn the consistencies that underpin correct spelling. For example, the k sound after the letter n in English is always spelt with a single letter k, or the j sound before an a or an o is almost always spelt with the letter j. You could also teach that the plural of words ending in s, ch or x is formed by adding es. This could be the sort of thing that programmes like 'Apples and Pears' teach. It is also possible that they will be covered in school at some stage.

There would seem to be little point in having spelling tests unless this kind of understanding is there.

dolfrog Fri 24-Jun-11 00:03:15

veritythebrave

Possible auditory processing disorder (APD) which affects aboyt 10% of children in some degree. APD is a listening disability, or not be able to process all that you hear. those who have APD are not able to use phonics, and are not able to phonetically learn new words.
Spelling is about the orthography or structure of a man made communication system the visual notation of speech. Writing systems are the coding groups of graphic symbols used to represent speech. We use the Latin Alphabet writing system, and the English orthography within that system.
So spelling is about understanding the orthography of the graphic symbols society chooses to represent the sound of speech.
Those who have APD have problems processing speech, and most who have APD can only process the whole sound of a word, to enable them to reprocess the whole word in the form of their own speech. So those who have APD need to be able to match the whole sound of a word to the whole orthographic representation of the word. Or match the sound of the word to the picture of the word.

Malaleuca Fri 24-Jun-11 00:24:23

I would also recommend Apples and Pears, whch is my programme of choice with most Y3 children I see. Each level(lesson) takes rather more than 10 minutes however, , more like 20-30 minutes. But well worth the effort as it not only teaches essential strategies, (segmenting, morphemic analysis eg farm + er = farmer) but also high-frequency words. Very systematic and thorough and easy for adult to direct.

CecilyP Fri 24-Jun-11 09:37:27

I doubt if verity's dd has APD. The spelling of all but a few of the words is phonically plausible - just not correct. This kind of spelling has a certain charm in small children - I particularly like fisy oring - but I can understand verity being worried if her dd is going into Y4 in September. Perhaps it is still quite common at this age and perhaps any primary teacher mumsnetters can reassure her.

aries12 Fri 24-Jun-11 11:31:23

I think you are right to be concerned and I am surprised the school is not concerned! My Dd is in Y2 and can write most of those correctly. She has a spelling test once a week and has twelve spellings to learn for a week. Perhaps you should make an appointment to see the teacher and ask for a list of the spellings she should know by the end of Y3 approx. I know every child is different but it would give you a list to work from over the Summer. Also, go to the Education section in WH Smith or Waterstones. I have bought books there for Key stage 1 in Maths/English/ Science. They are all very good even if you only spend 10/15 mins every few days doing the work. You will eventually see the results. If you really can't face doing it yourself perhaps a visit to your local Kip McGrath centre may help. They have specific courses for working on spellings.

veritythebrave Fri 24-Jun-11 13:29:53

philmassive Fri 24-Jun-11 13:44:36

I am interested to read this thread as that is what my ds (year 3 atm moving to year 4 in September) spelling is like. He reads well at an average level for his age but his handwriting is poor and his spelling is similar to the OP's dd. His teacher described his spelling as 'diabolical' but doesn't appear to have done anything in particular to help him improve them. He does have spelling tests on occasion and he can spell the words at the time of the test but not necessarily after the test. I am also puzzled by the fact that he is a good reader and a bad speller, I would have thought reading well would help to spell well, as you'd remember the spellings that you had read iyswim.

veritythebrave Fri 24-Jun-11 16:45:20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now