Talk

Advanced search

Can't attend parents evenings as can't get time off work-what options do I have?

(7 Posts)
mamapetal Wed 22-Jun-11 09:56:19

Parents evenings or open evening, as the school now refers to it, is from 3.30pm-6pm - I finish work at 5.30pm and can get to the school for 6pm but this doesn't leave time to see DSs work or have a discussion with the teacher. I do need to speak to the teacher as I have concerns about DSs behaviour and attitude.

Is it reasonable to request another time & date? This never used to be an issue in previous years as parents evening always ran onto 6.30pm-7pm!!

Hassled Wed 22-Jun-11 09:58:48

Yes - ring or write a note for the teacher explaining the problem and asking if you can have a slot at 6. Or is there another day you can get there earlier? I'm sure you won't be the only parent who will struggle to get there from work, and while it makes for a very long day for the teachers, I think schools do need to try to accommodate working parents' schedules.

JeremyVile Wed 22-Jun-11 09:58:50

You can't just let work know you'll be leaving early on this one day?

Toughasoldboots Wed 22-Jun-11 10:00:17

Yes, this has happened to me a few times- if you can't get there, there is nothing you can do. I have always explained and been seen at another time.

Poledra Wed 22-Jun-11 10:05:55

Had a similar problem once when I was travelling for work. I let the teacher know, and asked for another time. She saw DH and me before school started one morning the following week.

lovecheese Wed 22-Jun-11 12:01:15

We also have an open parent's evening looming, and it says quite clearly on the letter that the staff would be happy to make an appointment for another date and time if you can not make it.

AbigailS Wed 22-Jun-11 20:32:14

Send a quick and polite note to the class teacher explaining the situation and quick outline of your concerns and ask if an alternative appointment is possible. Stress that you can be flexible and I'm sure they'll be helpful. I'm really glad to see parents at other times, it's the ones I can't see I worry about; and the year I felt they were taking the p@@@ and about half a dozen said they needed a 7pm appointment on a non-parents evening night, some even demanding a Friday. Your request is very reasonable in comparison to that so I expect the teacher will be helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now