Talk

Advanced search

what would you do?

(8 Posts)
sun1234 Wed 22-Jun-11 09:26:53

I am in a situation of moving home this summer and finding a new school and I am completely torn on what to choose. I've found two schools that may have places for my two DC.
School 1 is junior school 1.0 miles from our new house. It will have a space for Ds1 and the school secretary says that they always have movement in the first week or two of year 3, so DS2 would be to top of the waiting list under the sibling policy.
School 2 is 2.5 miles from our new home and it will have places for both children in September. I'll need to use my car to get there and it will be a problem if it breaks down.
When I toured school 2, the walls were covered with really good art work and imaginative lesson work, whereas school 1 wasn't so good on this.
School 1 is in a nicer part of town and it has amazing facilities. School 2 is perfectly acceptable though.
One weird thing is that school 1 was unbelievably quiet the day I visited. I don't think I heard a child say a single word. I like a school to have order and discipline with the focus on what the teacher is saying but this was really astonishingly quiet!
They have the same SATS results, although school 2 was identified by Ofsted has having a weakness with G&T children in the subject my children are G&T in. Both are rated good by Ofsted, but school 2 got an "outstanding" in various categories.
Also, school 1's Ofsted report says that a huge number of parents said they were unhappy in the survey but Ofsted couldn't find any cause for this.

Whichever I choose, I need to get the forms submitted today as time is running out. I have turned it over and over in my head and I just don't know what to go for. Which would you choose?

IndigoBell Wed 22-Jun-11 09:28:53

If OFSTED have said they are weak in something, you can be sure that is the thing that will be improved this year......

sun1234 Wed 22-Jun-11 09:31:34

That's a good thought, Indigobell.

As to school 2's Ofsted report, I can't make sense of why the parents complain but Ofsted can't find just cause? If 100 parents complain then they must know something is wrong, don't you think? It can't just be a disaffected few??

IndigoBell Wed 22-Jun-11 09:34:47

I wouldn't choose the school where a huge number of parents said they were unhappy............

Isitreally Wed 22-Jun-11 09:36:29

If 100 parents complained in the survey then I wouldn't choose that school either. I would trust their opinion above Ofsted's. Even in an area of very pushy parents with very high expectations, that number of complaints is too high just to be dismissed even if Ofsted don't agree.

sun1234 Wed 22-Jun-11 09:59:07

the survey in which 100 parents criticised the school is three years old

SarkySpanner Wed 22-Jun-11 10:08:35

go to mumsnet local and post the names of the two schools.

someone will tell you what was going on with the complaints.

sun1234 Wed 22-Jun-11 10:16:27

Thanks - that's good advice. i'll do it now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now