Talk

Advanced search

Telling the time...

(16 Posts)
JustCallMeMummyPig Tue 21-Jun-11 22:14:02

Looking at buying dd a time teacher watch. Have noticed some have 1/4 and 1/2 for minutes whilst others have 15/30/45 and others 15/30/15.

just wondered what others recommended?

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 21-Jun-11 22:41:46

Depends if it's to help with saying the time in words or numbers. I'd say 'a quarter to 8' for 7.45, so I'd prefer the one with 1/2 and 1/4. I don't say 3/4 past 7. Does it have different coloured halves for 'past' and 'to' as well? That can be a hard concept to teach so I think the coloured halves help. But if you want them to understand how the minutes relate, 1/2 past being 30 minutes past etc, it's trickier. I'd start with the 1/2 and 1/4 and in a couple of years progress to a 'normal' watch with the minutes numbered.

We are trying to teach time in a lower set y5 maths group at the moment and it's so obvious which children have had help at home. Some of the better mathematicians have no idea and vice versa. Things like telling the time and times tables need lots of practise, which isn't always possible in a class of 30.

JustCallMeMummyPig Tue 21-Jun-11 22:51:57

thank you, yes it does have two halves and say to and past. I think i'll go for the quarter one as that is how it's said. She's nearly 6 and can do half past and the hour but it's making that progression forwards i was thinking of.

I'm not expecting it to last forever so will only buy a cheap one for now anyway.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 21-Jun-11 23:17:52

At nearly six you are starting nice and early. She'll be flying later on!

dragonmother Tue 21-Jun-11 23:24:32

Really, they are still teaching telling the time in year 5? Is that problems to do with time or just reading a watch? Genuine question...

littleducks Tue 21-Jun-11 23:31:05

dd has a labelled minutes and hour hands and is marked +5 to +30 and -5 on the other 'side'

She has had since 4 and can tell the hour, half past, quarter past and to. We havent progressed further as she isnt competent with the larger number (20/25 past). She is just finishing reception now so may teach her over the summer.

I am also shock at the idea of yr 5 children learning to tell the time but I suppose we live in an era of digital clocks!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 21-Jun-11 23:40:28

It shocked me TBH, some (lower set) children were fine but some had obviously still not got it at all. We were supposed to be doing calculations with time, 'You arrive at 12.45pm and leave at 1.30pm. How long was your visit?' etc but it became quickly obvious that some of the children hadn't got the basics sorted. Even after over a week on it some are still struggling. Probably not had much practice at home, and had forgotten previous lessons. I'm a TA not a teacher, so don't flame me!

JustCallMeMummyPig Tue 21-Jun-11 23:57:33

I am often shock at things i think children should be able to do and can't ... tie laces, skip with a rope, tell the time.

i think it's sad and am quite determined that my dc will be able to do these things at a reasonable age!

pinkgirlythoughts Wed 22-Jun-11 09:30:56

Ellen, I've worked on long term supply in a school where a mixed year 5/6 class struggled to tell the time. Some of them had no idea at all- such a shame, as by that age I think if you haven't understood it then you'll probably always struggle.

By contrast, I currently work in a school where we expect all of the yr2s to at least know the hours, halves and quarters by the end of the year, and many will know all of the minutes.

mummytime Wed 22-Jun-11 10:13:01

Some children have huge problems learning to tell the time. It could be a result of dyslexia. Of my children the two older ones still struggle with analogue clocks, and are in their teens; the youngest got it at 6.

So OP you may not be able to force your kids to be able to do things when you think they can. And before putting on your judgy pants do think there maybe reasons why they can't.... BTW my non-clock reading son is on target for an A* in Maths GCSE. It really isn't the end of the world or a mark of genius.

littleducks Wed 22-Jun-11 10:35:03

I think there is a huge difference between individual children struggling with something (surely all children find something hard?) and there being an expectation that children are taught the skill in yr 5

JustCallMeMummyPig Wed 22-Jun-11 10:48:10

I'm not forcing them to do anything at any age, but if you don't ever start them doing it how will they learn!

My dd is not sporty at all she still has stabilisers on her bike at nearly 6, i'm not rushing her but we do lots of practice so she will get there in her own time.

I'm sorry but i do think these days parents are lazy with things, just one example - velcro shoes are so easily available,and whilst i will continue to buy for my dc for school etc for ease, i would hate to think they would get to their teens and not be able to tie a bow! Thats not to say i expect my 3 year old to do it, i'm happy if he actually puts his own shoes on. But i know 8/9 yr olds that can't tie a basic knot.

I just think there are los of important skills and traditions that can easily get lost if it's not something you think about...

Anyway have ordered a watch!

RustyBear Wed 22-Jun-11 10:53:25

I remember ages ago a teacher told me that children will either "get" telling the time at around 4-5 or not until they are 8-10, and it's nothing to do with how intelligent they are otherwise - and I found it was true for my two - DS was competent with telling the time by the time he went to school at 5, DD didn't get it at all until late in Year 4 - and they have since proved to be academically equal (same levels at GCSE, Alevel & degree)

I do think that the prevalence of digital clocks makes it harder for today's children - they just don't get so much everyday practice as they used to.

MrsRhettButler Wed 22-Jun-11 11:04:50

Which did you get mummypig? I want one for dd, she's very interested in telling time at the mo

mummytime Wed 22-Jun-11 11:09:29

Schools do work on the basis of re-teaching things. So although they do time in year 5, IME they expect most children to have got it in year 2/3, just need a refresher course.
I bought my kids watches from a young age (in fact our house is full of watches). I bought my son velcro until about 10, when his feet became too big, as he had a lot else to deal with, but he had laces in trainers earlier. We even had a practice lace tying toy from a young age.
But then again I couldn't tie laces until I was 11 or so, that was back in the dark ages and I was luckily a girl so cold have buckles.
Kids are all different, and do learn at their own speed.

Primarytimes Wed 22-Jun-11 14:06:31

Prim-ed do an interactive book called Telling The Time. www.prim-ed.com/uk/node/254 Hope it helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now