DD has a place at the local school but we have a meeting on Friday to discuss deferring or going part time. My question is, if we defer her start at school for one term, can she still go to the lovely pre-school around the corner without us paying? Its a private nursery so we wouldn't be able to afford it.
If your DD is still under compulsory school age and she is not attending school, then yes. However, if she goes to school part-time then no. If she is a late birthday she could carry on in nursery until the summer if you wanted.
Gosh, wasn't expecting such a fast response, am usually an earlybird MNetter so used to things being a bit more quiet
She isn't 5 until next August but has a place at the local school which I understand they now have to keep for her until we decide when she starts, as long as she starts when she is 5 which will be September 2012.
So am I correct in thinking that the school keep the place open for us and we keep sending her to Pre-school with the free hours? Pre-school are happy to keep her and think we are making the right decision for her.
JiltedJohns, they have to keep your place for reception so she will have to start in this school year (2011/2) If you defer until next September they are under no obligation to keep your place and you may find she doesnt have one for Sep 2012.
Can you maybe keep her in nursery until Christmas, then try part time until Easter and then review it?
Even going part time will keep your place. DD may suprise you - I was unsure how ready DS1 was for school (He's August too) but by November was more than ready for full time - and does after school club until 6pm 3 days a week! 6 weeks of part time gradually building up worked well
Another friend of mine has an August DD and she started Jan part time - and went full time after Easter. This worked better for her.
Speak to the head/reception teacher and see what they think too?
Your nursery may have assumed that your daughter is leaving in July and allocated all the nursery places for September, so you need to make sure there is still a place for her in September. smokin is right. You can't defer entry to school to year one because the school will allocate all the reception places. Your daughter can start reception in January or even after Easter, although I don't think it is recommended as it will only give her one term in reception.
You do need to start her in school this academic year (2011-12) if you don't want her to lose her Reception place (and potentially her place in the school if you live in an oversubscribed area). When you've decided what you are going to do I would speak with the Head and then confirm arrangements in writing so they don't give her place away.
Where I am (Wilts), you can keep the 15hrs vouchers if they aren't registered at school. You then have to apply again for year1 and hope for the best or you can go into Reception at age 5. If they have a place at school though, whether they attend or not (or part-time) then the school take the vouchers as I understand it. Hope you can sort something out.