Talk

Advanced search

Finger bitten at school

(3 Posts)
issac1 Tue 21-Jun-11 19:20:09

Not really sure how to deal with this but dd came out of school today and showed me a small skin tear on her finger, which looked quite sore. I asked how it had happened and she said * bit me.

Tried to get the full story when we got home and apparently this girl (who is in dd's class) grabbed her finger and bit it. Dd said she told a teacher but I think it was one of the dinner ladies, who told her to get a wet paper towel and put it on her finger. It happened at break time and dd said she didn't tell anyone else.

She started crying when she was in the bath saying it was really sore (a layer of skin has been taken off).

She has mentioned that this girl has pushed her before and that she doesn't like her, so do you think I should mention it to the teacher. Obviously not being there I don't exactly know what has happened and I don't want it to look like I am causing trouble. At the parents evening dd's teacher told us that dd is very quiet at school. She is almost 5 and in reception btw.

SarkySpanner Tue 21-Jun-11 19:36:23

I would tell them.
They would want to know IMO.

AbigailS Tue 21-Jun-11 22:46:01

School needs to know for three reasons 1) the biter needs support to change their behaviour; 2) your dd needs support in speaking up to class teacher about incidents like this; and 3) as a teacher I would be worried about the first aid procedures. Bites do need medical attention, especially if the skin is broken and the response of just using a wet paper towel isn't really sufficient. If you say you realise your dd didn't tell the teacher but you thought the teacher ought to know that at lunchtime ... it won't sound pushy or like you are blaming the teacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now