Talk

Advanced search

I really need help - shall I move DSs school?

(7 Posts)

DS had real problems at school no.1. We recently (End of May) moved him to a new school, although not the Catholic school which we wanted, is lovely. They look after him well, it seems to have been put under special measures (I think) in the past few years, but has a new head and I find it really really good.

We have since moved - about 15 odd miles away. Where we live now has a big problem with schools being massively oversubscribed in the past few years. We now live very very (less than 1/2mile) from a Catholic school, but it has a waiting list and we have yet to view it and speak to the Head about DSs needs (we went there today after many phone calls but she was out, and we were too late for a tour).

Today we visited another school though, walking distance (I currently have to be up at 6.30, kids no later than 7 and try and leave by 7.30/7.45, touch a go traffic wise - one day we didn't make school unitl 10), and they are able to cope with DSs needs.

I don't know what to do though because the school is 85% english second language, it's a very very (since Sept) new school so it isn't really established, and isn't a Catholic school and he would likely go on the waiting list for the Catholic one (if they can take him) so have to possibly move again. But it's walking distance, seems nice enough and the head was enthusiastic about it's future.

I have a 3yo starting nursery and he had a place at DS1s school nursery, but they can't offer more than the 15h a week so I will have to drive back and forth all day. Also, I don't think DS2 can go to the school because now we have moved. He has a place also at a private nursery (attatched to another school) so he can get 15h funded, and I can top up to full days, but that will cost £85 a week. So, petrol and fees will be £135 a week. But DS is thriving now at that school.

WWYD? We are possibly moving again as DH is joining the forces , so it's not like we are settled here for a long time. but he may not get in, in which case we will be here for the foreseeable future.

And to make it "worse", I applied for a college course for Sept, and there is no way I could take DS to his current school as the college is the other direction from where we live.

I just don't know what to do - I am exhausted with all the driving, and it will cost a fortune come Sept either in petrol and fees, or petrol to come back and forth several times a day. sad

genuinelytorn Tue 21-Jun-11 17:43:34

Lemonade, I feel for you, it can be really difficult logistically to juggle 2 DCs on different timetables especially if you are also trying to study/work outside the home.

From what you say, I would go back to the Catholic school 1/2 mile away that sounds like is your first choice school for DS1. Try to go on the tour/see the head, assess whether they would meet DS1's needs, and also how long the waitlist is/where you would slot in/what is the likely timetable for a place to come up for your DS1. Also check sibling policy for this school - if you have a 3yo, would he be reception next Sep which would push your DS1 up the list? Would a letter from minister help if Church attendance is one of the admission criteria? I would personally try to find out as much as possible before deciding either way. If Catholic school can have your DS1 from, say, Sept or soon thereafter there would not be much point moving him now - only 1 month to go till holidays in any case.

If the Catholic school is unlikely to come through on a reasonable timeframe then your other local school may be the way to go. Does this other school have any nursery provision for DS2? From what you say, sticking with your DS1's current school come Sept could be tricky, but try not to panic about it now, just lay all your realistic options on the table and see what works best.

Good luck.

thankyou so much for replying - I asked about a timeframe, there is 9 other catholic children on the list, but we live right right nearby so may be top. I am not sure if they have a nursery, the school with a place now has a nursery. I have decided to put him down starting Sept, first choice the catholic school to give us time to view it, see head and for a place to come up. 2nd choice is the other school. Breaks my heart as he is so happy in his school now after being so unhappy in his old one, and they really do care for him. Hopefully the catholic school has a place in yr1 in Sept, and cares for DS and it will all come together...confused

veritythebrave Tue 21-Jun-11 22:05:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

They do seem to have the resources in place for meeting the kids needs who are new to the country/English not spoke at home with extra tuition and saturday clubs etc., the area where we live now is a very high percent immigrant etc. so even the Catholic school is about 50-60% ESL. I am going round in circles - it's so near the end of term but DS keeps saying he hates travelling so long each day sad

Sound like you are having a rough time verity sad where do you live? 4 hours sounds awful - I do about that but at least it's in the car.

genuinelytorn Wed 22-Jun-11 11:14:11

oh another thought -if DS1 has any special needs he should get top priority on the waiting lists - not clear from your post if this applies but worth perhaps investigating.

He is not statemented though. But thanks, we are including a copy of a paediatrician letter with the Catholic school application (they asked), maybe it will help? I am not sure how if a school literally down the road can take him and has spaces confused .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now