Talk

Advanced search

what would you do

(12 Posts)
loosinas Tue 21-Jun-11 10:30:52

have just received a call from the headmaster about my application for a holiday for my son for 5 days. he has had to refuse it. bit of background. we lost a close family member this year and a family holiday was therefore booked. headmaster says he fully understands and sympathises but his hands are tied as the governors have dictated that a child needs 95% attendance to tae a holiday. he says i can still take him out but it will be unauthorised and could lead to trouble from the local authority. the last thing i want is trouble or to be in the schools bad books but this holiday is paid for and my son is so excited. hes in reception

RosemaryandThyme Tue 21-Jun-11 10:37:48

The 95% attendance figure is quoted because ofsted require this in order to give an Outstanding grade.
Governers can not determine the school policy on authorised attendance.
The headmaster may just be saying that so give weight to his arguement.
School children are allowed up to 10% authorised time off in a year, this translates to aprrox 10 school days.
Therefore you can take up to a fortnight off, authorised.

loosinas Tue 21-Jun-11 10:58:15

problem is my son's attendance is already on 88% due to asthma related illnesses and therefore the LEA would get involved if the number drops again (scared smiley)

curtaincall Tue 21-Jun-11 10:59:19

Condolences for your loss. A holiday at this point sounds as though it will be more important recovery time for you all as a family than being in school for 5 days. If it were a higher year or ds would be more settled if he was at school, i would reconsider, but Reception? And I'm a real stickler for not taking time off.

mummytime Tue 21-Jun-11 10:59:23

Also as your son is in reception, he doesn't legally have to be at school. So I would strongly doubt the LA will make any fuss whatsoever.

Mumwithadragontattoo Tue 21-Jun-11 11:03:36

To be honest I think with your son's low attendance the head is right not to allow him to take anymore leave during term time. It isn't his fault that he has been off when poorly but this does mean that he is already at risk of being behind. I guess if the holiday is already booked and paid for then you'll need to unauthorised absence but if it can be cancelled I would do that and take him somewhere cheaper during the school hols.

Hullygully Tue 21-Jun-11 11:05:12

He's in reception ffs. Just take him.

redskyatnight Tue 21-Jun-11 11:06:53

How old is he? If he's turned (or will turn) 5 this term he doesn't have to be in school yet.

If he was 5 before April then the worst that can happen is that you may be fined by the LEA. If it is school policy not to approve then the headmaster will not (some schools do not approve any holiday for any reason regardless).

For next time, you should really get the approval before booking the holiday smile

2BoysTooLoud Tue 21-Jun-11 11:41:39

Its Reception so I would take him. I might write a letter to the school re emphasizing the importance of this holiday and why you feel you have to go against the schools decision.

belledechocchipcookie Tue 21-Jun-11 11:43:52

I'd just take him. I hope you have a lovely time. smile

Acinonyx Tue 21-Jun-11 11:47:12

We did something similar in reception. It was unauthorised, we went, end of story. If we had been fined, we would have just paid it and moved on.

We have a lot of family overseas on 3 continents. We will likely do the same next year (yr2). I find the idea that dd might fall behind at primary quite laughable really - she always seems to make so much more progress in the holidays.

sunnyday123 Tue 21-Jun-11 12:00:16

i would take him - not ideal but its booked so nothing you can do - get permission next time though to stay in their good books!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now