Talk

Advanced search

DS's RE homework: "What do you think God looks like?"

(82 Posts)
whippet Sun 19-Jun-11 22:24:50

He is (of his own volition) a 'devout atheist' grin.

I must admit, I am a bit hmm about the homework (and dislike this particular evangelical teacher...) but I nevertheless think he should do some waffle about children thinking of an old man with a long white beard in the clouds, and some people believing God is like the air, ro light all around us, blah, blah...

He says he wants to hand in a blank piece of paper with just the title.... wink

jade80 Sun 19-Jun-11 22:27:19

Sounds like a sensible lad to me!

Goblinchild Sun 19-Jun-11 22:27:20

It's an open question. If he hands in a blank paper, but is able to explain why, then job done. smile

jetmonkey Sun 19-Jun-11 22:29:46

Maybe he could write a couple of sentences to explain his blank sheet (in his own words) - seems reasonable to me if he doesn't believe that God exists then he has nothing to draw grin

whippet Sun 19-Jun-11 22:40:44

Yes - I'm secretly rather proud of him grin but I think he needs to write something - even if it's to explain nothing....!

gordongrumblebum Sun 19-Jun-11 22:42:59

I think he ought to put his name on it smile

vintageteacups Sun 19-Jun-11 23:09:56

I would write something like:

"as an atheist, I do not believe in a God, however, many people who do, imagine him to be like......." (draws picture or describes what they think he looks like).

I think, although it's the kind of rebellious thing I would have done (the blank paper thing) when I was at school, I think he'll get more credit if he thoughtfully does explain why he doesn't think God looks like anything. If he gives good examples using quotations from what people have said in their research (depending what Yr group he is), then I think he'll be seen as having tackled it in a serious way.

whippet Mon 20-Jun-11 10:03:24

vintage - yes, that's what I was trying to explain to him - that he doesn't have to compromise his own beliefs to answer the question.

He's only 11, so I think it's quite a difficult concept to get across, really.

RitaMorgan Mon 20-Jun-11 10:07:30

I think he should answer the question. It is "what do you think God looks like" rather than "what does God look like/what do Christians believe God looks like".

"I don't think god exists, so therefore he looks like nothing..." He could go into a bit more detail about why he doesn't think god exists too if he wants.

FetchTheMaid Mon 20-Jun-11 10:09:39

Ridiculous question deserves a ridiculous answer.

No 'wrong' answers here so he can draw a picture of anything - Obama, the tooth fairy, a teddy bear, a goblin, Tom Cruise etc

Mamaz0n Mon 20-Jun-11 10:10:07

i think a "i do not believe in the existence of god so cannot give a description. it is a mythical being and could describe the man most commonly used to represent the image of god, but it would not be what i consider he looks like.

Mamaz0n Mon 20-Jun-11 10:11:19

actually i would be advising my DC to stick a picture of me on the page with teh tag line "in our house, MUm is god"

cory Mon 20-Jun-11 10:13:06

I really dislike this homework. Not only is it impossible for an atheist, but in many religions it is actually forbidden to make an image of God; teachers should know that. It is precisely the kind of thing that can drive a wedge between school and home.

mrsravelstein Mon 20-Jun-11 10:15:44

ds1 at age approx 6 had to do a piece of writing about what jesus looked like - he wrote "jesus must be very old cos he has very hairy hands" which i thought highly amusing.

mrsravelstein Mon 20-Jun-11 10:16:31

but i'd agree with some of the others here, if it was ds1 doing the homework now (age 10) i'd be more than happy for him to send in a blank sheet of paper.... stupid homework doesn't deserve any effort.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 20-Jun-11 10:22:53

If my DD had been set this homework, she'd have either wanted to hand in blank paper or what Rita said - he's not being asked to describe what other people think God looks like.

NotJustKangaskhan Mon 20-Jun-11 11:04:30

I agree with cory - this is very bad homework on so many different levels for so many different religions and philosophies.

I would debate sending it in with a stern note and having them take it in blank with a book like this depending on the year level. I'd probably do both.

tabulahrasa Mon 20-Jun-11 12:24:14

I'd have assumed it was supposed to be a starter for a - different people have different ideas about god - lesson and so his, nothing because I don't believe there is one would have been more than welcome

vintageteacups Mon 20-Jun-11 12:33:00

Think of it this way.......

If he had been asked to 'draw what he thinks a dragon looks like', he would be able to do the homework.

I don't think he would say, well, nobody knows if dragons ever existed and it's doubtful they did, but I bet, if he doesn't believe in dragons, he would find it difficult.

He simply needs to draw/explain what other people who do believe in God think he looks like.smile

aliceliddell Mon 20-Jun-11 12:40:04

If you had seen Alan Partridge, you would know that God is a gas.

superjobeespecs Mon 20-Jun-11 12:42:22

just lol'ed at tom cruise as god grin had this crudishly drawn caricature of tom cruise with huge teeth pop into my head that i seen on some celeb piss take tv show aw that was fab sorry i have no input for the OP other than explain he hasnt drawn god as he doesnt believe in him and leave it at that smile

GrimmaTheNome Mon 20-Jun-11 12:47:50

Not really, teacups. Dragons are clearly mythical beasts, no-one actually believes in them. It matters whether you believe in God, and if so how you think about him - the boy's response is actually more respectful of the issue than equating with dragons.

AMumInScotland Mon 20-Jun-11 12:50:25

What Rita said.

I don't think an empty piece of paper would do, not at 11 - he should be able to write two or three sentences explaining his position on this topic, which would fulfil the spirit of having homework (presumably as mentioned above, this will be preparation for a lesson about different views of God - his view is as valid as others, ut he needs to state it clearly, to avoid any accusation that he hasn't made any effort.

vintageteacups Mon 20-Jun-11 12:51:51

to be fair Grimma, I'm more inclined to believe in dragons than god grin

LittleMissFlustered Mon 20-Jun-11 12:57:57

Is it blank paper? Get him to draw an ornate picture frame. All gold and shiny and empty. On the name plate at the base, a simple 'atheist' in clear type. Perfick!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now