Talk

Advanced search

Teachers suggesting not to do homework - why set it then?

(8 Posts)
Learningeveryday Sun 19-Jun-11 18:40:02

Another thread prompted this post from me, but it's not a thread about a thread.

Why if a parent approaches a school and says 'my dc won't do the homework, is the school's response don't do it then?'

This has occurred with my own children, when I have approached the school, what I am really looking for is the teacher to say to my child you must do your homework, i.e. back me up that I'm telling them to do it. And on the other thread I noticed another mother was after advice, and all she got from the teacher was 'don't do the homework'.

If homework really is so optional why set it? And if it is beneficial and adds to class work and that is why it is set, why are teachers helping to raise a generation of if you don't like something or it's a bit tricky don't do it.

I'm not saying the homework has to be 100% complete or correct, but to not even attempt it, just really don't get it from a school's pov.

Learningeveryday Sun 19-Jun-11 18:41:15

Ah just seen someone else has asked is homework necessary - hadn't seen that thread before posting.

IndigoBell Sun 19-Jun-11 18:44:40

Every school has their own hw policy.... Some state there will be sanctions, some state there won't be.

The teacher can't do anything about the hw policy, they have to follow it....

hocuspontas Sun 19-Jun-11 18:53:10

Lots of parents ask for it, I'm sure that's why it's set for primary! Don't do it if it's a hassle. Homework is an opportunity of independently finding out information or an extension/consolidation of something done in school. As indigo says all schools are different in their approach, just ask the teacher what's expected.

exoticfruits Sun 19-Jun-11 19:08:47

Homework is set because parents wanted it-it never used to happen in the 'old days'. The teacher probably is anti homework (as are many parents) but has to set it.

Goblinchild Sun 19-Jun-11 19:35:11

Government policy
School policy
Parent pressure
Need to be consistent, so all or nothing.
We run a homework club for the KS2, some teachers send children along if they haven't completed work, some children do the homework there because they get support from the teacher running it.
But you also get parents ranting about how annoying it is, how they don't get it, how impossible it is to give the child time and space and the equipment to do it, so sometimes, the temptation is to say 'Fine, it's optional.'

RoadArt Sun 19-Jun-11 20:45:10

Some parents wont homework, other parents dont.

Teacher has a fine line as to what to do, and whatever she does, a parent will complain or disagree.

Some kids like doing homework. Others dont. Some kids have a social life outside school and dont have time to fit in useless formfilling exercises.

HOmework is for consolidating what they have learnt in class. They make be asked to research something, and this helps with practical experiences.

If it causes any kind of stress for a child then there is no point in the child completing the homework.

However, reading, spellings and a bit of maths in practical situations should always be done as a matter of course and not treated as being "homework". These should always be slotted in the children's daily routines and become a habit rather than a ritual.

Our school gives optional homework for those families that ask for it. They have found that there is no real benefit for forcing children to complete it and much prefer that children play after school

cory Sun 19-Jun-11 21:58:55

What is right for one child is not necessarily right for another, the teacher has to keep a constant balance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now