Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lemonade given at Nursery parties

(85 Posts)
doodygirl Sat 18-Jun-11 22:14:31

My eldest child is at nursery attached to infant school. The infant school claims it is a healthy eating school. Every half term the nursery have a party and the chldren are given lemonade. I was shocked at first but haven't said anything yet. My child is the oldest in the year (early Septembber birthday).

In September my second child starts, who is August birthday and I am not keen at all on her having lemonade. My eldest child had never had any fizzy drinks before he attended the nursery.

Do you think I am making a fuss? I really don't think it is appropriate.

ConnorTraceptive Sat 18-Jun-11 22:16:54

there's as much sugar in sqaush as ther is in lemonade.

One cup every 6 or 7 weeks? meh?

K999 Sat 18-Jun-11 22:17:04

It's only lemonade....personally I wouldn't worry about it. Neither of my DDs have fizzy juice at home bur occasionally like it at parties etc. IMO that's what parties are for....eating and drinking stuff you wouldn't normally have..

littleducks Sat 18-Jun-11 22:17:10

I would rather my children be given decent lemonade (sparkling water/lemons/ sugar) than the 'sugar free squash' that is served at their parties as it is healthier than a drink with sugar in

littleducks Sat 18-Jun-11 22:18:09

Sorry that makes no sense, I mean the school insist on sugar free squash as they think its is the healthy alternative

mungogerry Sat 18-Jun-11 22:18:26

Have the children made it themselves as part of a healthy eating 'activity'? Or is it 7up, or simlar, fizzy pop?

ConnorTraceptive Sat 18-Jun-11 22:19:36

I'm with littleducks on steering away from sugar free, chemically sweetened stuff too.

hocuspontas Sat 18-Jun-11 22:21:48

If it's really a problem ask he if can be given water instead. Lemonade sounds much more inviting than Value squash which is the normal party drink.

doodygirl Sat 18-Jun-11 22:22:48

I agree I don't want anything with artificial sweeteners either. I think it is probably the value lemonade, nothing special. I don't know how much sugar as in the stuff as I never buy fizzy drinks. We only have the rocks organic squash at home. I will have a look next time I go to supermarket.
Thanks for all your replies

c0rn55ilk Sat 18-Jun-11 22:24:05

It's for a special occasion - a party. They probably won't drink it anyway.

mrsshears Sat 18-Jun-11 22:40:06

I cant believe you are so concerned about this that you are asking this question at this time on a saturday night! jeeez!
mind you it says something for me that i have nothing better to do than reply to it grin

ggirl Sat 18-Jun-11 22:41:23

good god what is wrong with the occassional fizzy drink? artificially sweetened or not it won't do any harm

doodygirl Sat 18-Jun-11 22:42:15

yes I am a bit sad asking this now...have home visit coming up so just think up questions!

KoolAidKid Sat 18-Jun-11 22:42:20

In 10 -15 years time they'll be trying much worse things at parties. Try and put a bit of lemonade every couple of months into perspective.

usualsuspect Sat 18-Jun-11 22:43:22

Do people really worry about stuff like this?

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 18-Jun-11 22:44:28

You are shocked about lemonade? Really?

mrsshears Sat 18-Jun-11 22:45:22

thats what i thought usual

AuntieMonica Sat 18-Jun-11 22:46:25

honestly, your child will not become a demon over-night for the sake of a drop of lemonade.

as PPs have said, they prob won't drink it anyway, but they like the idea of it.

FunnysInTheGarden Sat 18-Jun-11 22:46:55

chillax OP. Besides DS1 has never liked fizzy drinks and prob would have asked for water. Are they serving cakes too shock The Bastards

mrz Sun 19-Jun-11 09:49:49

Interestingly when my ADHD son was put on an exclusion diet by a paediatric dietician he was allowed 7UP (fizzy lemon drink) and not fruit juice or squash (organic or not) so perhaps you need to rethink

TidyDancer Sun 19-Jun-11 09:57:42

Is this a windup? I can't believe anyone (other than those with allergy concerns, etc) worries about a small serving of lemonade. So to answer your question, yes you are making a fuss. Let it go, accept you can't control everything and just let your child enjoy the party.

I really can't believe people don't have more important things to worry about. And I'm not normally the one who says that, but lemonade? Seriously?!

cece Sun 19-Jun-11 09:58:16

I would have no problem with my children having an occasional glass of lemonade. Indeed ime the children who are never allowed squash/biscuits/cake/any other type of banned food tend to go crazy and stuff as much as they can down when they get the chance to at my house.

My neighbour for instance doesn't allow his kids sweets or biscuits or squash. I think he would be a bit horrified if he knew how much of that stuff they eat at my house when they pop around to play. (A bottle of squash practically disappears in an afternoon!) Whereas my children have it available and take it in moderation.

seeker Sun 19-Jun-11 09:59:00

Why are you shocked by fizzy drinks?

seeker Sun 19-Jun-11 10:01:00

Oh, and as a slight hijack, isn;t it annoying that practically all squash has artificial sweeteners in it? Even the ones that aren't sugar free?

Jaspants Sun 19-Jun-11 10:02:51

What koolaidkid said

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now