Talk

Advanced search

new school starters... PE kit...

(11 Posts)
mummynoseynora Fri 17-Jun-11 20:49:07

DD starting reception in september, the uniform just says t shirt, shorts and plimsoles for PE...

got the top and shoes, but it seems the only shorts anywhere in the shops sold as 'uniform' are the cycle shorts.... do all your DD's wear them? They just seem a bit odd to me!

disclaimer... no idea why and I can't justify that thought

Ixia Fri 17-Jun-11 20:57:25

Our school doesn't allow cycle shorts for indoor PE, no idea why and half the girls wear them regardless. DD has boy's cotton PE shorts from Asda.

Also are you sure they have to be uniform? We have to buy outdoor PE kit and indoor PE kit. Indoor has to be red t-shirt and black shorts. Outdoor can be anything, I bought DD school colours not knowing she didn't have to have them, only to have her in tears because all the other girls were wearing hello Kitty tracksuits etc .....sigh.

mummynoseynora Fri 17-Jun-11 21:00:30

Thank god they don't go for the cycle shorts - phewy... better ask around some of the mums with kids already there then - as DD would NOT be impressed if everyone else had hello kitty.. .she loves the crap!!

Seona1973 Fri 17-Jun-11 21:29:03

my dd wears black cycle shorts for PE. They dont do indoor/outdoor kit

hester Fri 17-Jun-11 21:30:12

I have found it quite hard to track down cotton gym shorts for girls. In the end got some from M&S - 20% off at the moment.

gazzalw Sun 19-Jun-11 11:20:03

Think the cycle shorts are the best option if you have slim DCs - normal shorts look ridiculous on a stick thin child particularly a DD!

cece Sun 19-Jun-11 11:23:23

My DC wear football type shorts in the appropriate colour (boy and girl). I find the cotton ones too stiff and sticky outy. Having said that the infants were allowed cycle type shorts for the girls. The junior school however does not.

meditrina Sun 19-Jun-11 11:26:12

We had some similar to these one's from John Lewis - the one's in the 3rd row middle pic. I don't remember paying so much, but then again they seem indestructible and have survived to the 3rd DC.

cece Sun 19-Jun-11 12:45:27

I have bought these for a few years now. Postage is a bit steep so a few of us usually get together and do one big order of shorts. smile

Panzee Sun 19-Jun-11 13:05:39

Football shorts from sports shops are really cheap.

Clary Sun 19-Jun-11 13:49:21

Cycle shorts are fine for girls.

Or you used to be able to get nice heavy cotton black shorts? Not sure now as my DSs have become refuseniks on those and will only wear 100% nylon football ones hmm

DD looks fine in cycle shorts, she is skinny tho, agree with gazzlw, if you have slim DD then they are best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now