Talk

Advanced search

Is this reading level ok for DD's age?

(39 Posts)
oneofthosedays Fri 17-Jun-11 16:43:58

She's Y2 7.5yo and on ORT stage 15 - she is enjoying the books and reading others at home (malory towers, wishing tree, those fairy books, Roald Dahl) but she mentions there is another child in class on stage 19 :-/. Is stage 15 ok for her age?

Icouldabeensomebody Fri 17-Jun-11 16:49:30

As long as she is enjoying reading and progressing steadily, the stage doesn't matter. Can't stress enough the importance of enjoyment. If you try to force the pace it could be counter-productive. Don't look at how everyone else is doing, concentrate on your own child (v old Mum & ex teacher who has seen it all time after time)

spanieleyes Fri 17-Jun-11 16:51:19

A quick search shows that stage 15 is meant to be year 6 so I think you are probably OK!

boysrock Fri 17-Jun-11 16:53:54

Perhaps if you are concerned you should mention this to the teacher.

oneofthosedays Fri 17-Jun-11 16:59:18

She loves her reading so there's no problem getting her to read and she also reads a lot at home when she wakes up in bed and before bed as well. DD seems happy enough so like you all say that's the best thing afterall. Just wish I could foster the same enthusiasm for numeracy!

2BoysTooLoud Fri 17-Jun-11 17:05:25

I would think your dd doing brilliantly. She is a very good reader. Don't worry at all!

pilates Fri 17-Jun-11 17:07:57

I think you already knew this before you posted that she is a very good reader smile

nickelbabe Fri 17-Jun-11 17:11:17

she's definitely a godo reader.

by that stage, they're doing those books just for the sake of it - I know they'll be doing more reading comprehension than learning to read on those.
I wouldn't worry about ORT now. it's just crossing the ts and dotting the is.

Really encourage this - get her as many books for 7+ as possible!
nothing could kill a child's love of books more than ORT past stage 5....
grin

oneofthosedays Fri 17-Jun-11 17:17:08

I know what you mean the last books were all football/boyish which she wasn't keen on at all!

madwomanintheattic Fri 17-Jun-11 17:21:51

ort is pointless once they can read. utterly butterly. in fact, at our last school, once they got to 13/14 they just called them free readers and let them go. i don't know any schools that solely use a reading scheme at ort 15+. waste of time.

take her to the library. she can read. ergo she can choose what to read.
fwiw, dd2 started yr r on ort 10, and had finished the scheme way before yr 1 and was off to juniors for her free reading books, so in that particualr context, no no, of course ort 15 is in no way good enough. wink you should ask for remedial reading to be commenced post haste, with no time to spare. never mind the kids who are still struggling on age-appropriate ort levels. clearly they are not trying.

what is it about reading threads this week? it is nearly the summer holidays people. join the holiday reading club at the library and forget about blardy ort. your child can read. get over it.

madwomanintheattic Fri 17-Jun-11 17:22:33

oh, and burn those fairy books. grin

oneofthosedays Fri 17-Jun-11 17:34:32

I know, those damn fairy books - total waste of money (she bought a couple with pocket money) and can read them in a matter of hours. Much better now she's interested in Roald Dahl and some Enid Blyton plus DH is a library assistant so he'll quite often come home with a nice selection of stuff she wouldn't normally pick. Think school are just going with ort as it's an infant school in she's moving up to jrs in sept so think it will work different there.

madwomanintheattic Fri 17-Jun-11 21:10:27

dd2's was an infant school too. she only did yr r though grin
dd1 decided to read harry potter in the gap between yr 1 and yr 2 - so she read the first couple about the age your dd is now - we also love cressida cowell (in fact i've just bought the dragon series as a birthday present for a 7yo girl) and by 8, they were into percy jackson, so the first rick riordan stuff.

honestly, ignore ort. let her read anything and everything else. grin

pointythings Fri 17-Jun-11 21:33:29

Second all those who say she is reading brilliantly and to forget levels. DD2 was hooked on fairy books until about a year ago though, they were like valium to her - she's rund through one in about half an hour flat when she was tired and not up to reading anything more interesting, we've finally managed to round them all up (and the blaster tiara club ones) and send them to a charity shop so that some other poor soul will at least get them really, really cheap.

Both my DDs were off formal reading schemes in Yr 2 and Yr 1 respectively and the school made the point that enjoying and broadening the reading experience was the most important thing. Libraries are fab.

DD1 is now 10, loves the Roman Mysteries series (that has some quite dark and emotive subject matter though, so not for a 7 yo!) DD2 is into Michael Buckley's Sisters Grimm series and Angie Sage's Septimus Heap series (she is 8). I have no idea what leverl either of them would be on and I don't care.

mrsshears Fri 17-Jun-11 21:42:37

sorry but i'm sure you knew that your dd's reading reading level was very good before you posted tbh,is the problem really that there is someone in the class on a higher level?

LawrieMarlow Fri 17-Jun-11 22:18:26

I had no idea ORT went up as far as level 19. Seriously hope DC's school doesn't take it that far smile

I do think you know she was more than OK at reading though before you posted.

curtaincall Fri 17-Jun-11 22:48:00

my ds Y1 is on level 42 grin

madwomanintheattic Fri 17-Jun-11 22:49:17

lemony snicket also reasonable - but sometimes they need to be a bit older to get the humour/ word play. they can read it fine, but 9 or 10 they find them funnier. yy to septimus heap as well.

lovecheese Sat 18-Jun-11 09:15:38

Stage 19? Thought the bloody things stopped at stage 16.

Agreeing with mrsshears BTW.

mrz Sat 18-Jun-11 09:34:13

There isn't a stage 19 they definitely stop at stage 16 - sad woman sitting with the Oxford catalogue

JemimaMop Sat 18-Jun-11 10:09:39

A little bit of me died when I saw that there was a stage 19 ORT... I thought it only went up to 16 too.

Goblinchild Sat 18-Jun-11 10:12:47

www.september21.com.sg/Promotions/ORT/ORT%20reading%20ages.pdf

mrz Sat 18-Jun-11 10:13:01

www.oup.com/oxed/primary/oxfordreadingtree/chart_2010/

Goblinchild Sat 18-Jun-11 10:14:34

Are you bored with the same questions being asked over and over again mrz? When two seconds googling could avoid it, and the accusations by others of stealth boasting?

mrz Sat 18-Jun-11 10:16:53

It allows me to avoid writing reports grin
My head has made the mistake of asking us to write them on line ... I can't help wandering into MN can I?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now