Talk

Advanced search

Teacher hasn't got time to hear DD read or change her book. WWYD?

(30 Posts)
FallenAngel22 Thu 16-Jun-11 22:10:54

DD is in Year 1 and ploughing through reading books in various schemes. She enjoys reading and will quite often read the book in the car on the way home and then we'll read it again at home, talk about the story, ask questions etc. However they don't read to the teacher, but to TA's in class about twice a week in guided reading groups. She also reads her own books at home and we regularly go to the library and read higher level books.

So on Monday when she went back a polite note was put in her reading folder to ask if her teacher could review her reading level. DD came home on Monday night with no book saying she could not have one till her teacher had heard her read. Fair enough I thought. She came out last night and I was looking in her book bag but no book. The teacher saw me and came over saying she'd not had a chance to hear her read, they'd been busy preparing for sports day and that DD should read books at home and from the library in the meatime. Again today there is no reading book home. Tomorrow it will be a week since she last had one and I'm getting annoyed.

I should point out at this stage we've had lots of issues with this teacher this year resulting in us meeting with the head a few months ago. Things seemed to get sorted eventually but it was a bit awkward on both sides for a while. Therefore I don't know if IABU in expecting the teacher to have took a few mins to hear her read. Infact on Wed they were watching a DVD in the afternoon as it was raining and DD said to me her teacher was sorting out new reading books for the class and when DD asked where hers was she was told words to the effect of "oh yes, I still need to listen to you read". I guess she could have done it then??

I am not a confrontational person by nature and actually want to work with the teachers (I am training to be one in Sept myself). I know they have a huge workload. However, there are only 18 kids in DD's class with 2 TAs. Her teacher is generally disorganised and other parents have been to see the head and voiced concerns of a similar nature. They are always out late at the end of the day too, at least 3 times a week.

I guess what I'm asking is, should I wait a bit longer or speak to the teacher again? Yes I suppose I could chill out and keep reading library books but, I work too and it's actually hard to get to the library more than once a week when it's open. Also, I guess I resent the fact that the teacher's time is more precious than mine and that because she's not had time to hear her read, I have to source the reading books. They only have 3 weeks till the end of term so maybe I should be more laid back but DD actually wants to read and is feeling left out that all her class are having new reading books and she's not (even know she's knows why).

This isn't about book bands or colours, I'm not interested in levels, just want DD to have regular reading books from school. They read ORT amongst others and I can't get them from our little library without ordering them (think I will over the summer).

WWYD?

blackeyedsusan Thu 16-Jun-11 22:29:57

reading books will be collected in in a couple of weeks anyway. the next teacher will be assessing near the beginning of term.

18 children and 2 tas... envy

Scholes34 Thu 16-Jun-11 22:55:20

Don't stress. I spent far more time than any teacher hearing my DCs read, and other people's DCs when I volunteered in school to help out with reading. If your daughter is enjoying reading, just keep up with the books from the library for the time being and encourage her to read off the reading scheme. You can usually take out 12 books at a time, so don't need to go to the library too often. Or, treat yourself to a whole set of Biff, Chip and Kipper books! Now my DCs are older, I do miss those books.

FallenAngel22 Thu 16-Jun-11 22:55:42

Thanks for the reply. Part of me agrees with what you say (the sensible part!) but given all the issues we've had with her this year.....well it makes me want to throw something!

As for the 18 kids and 2 TA's.....don't get me started....lol

FallenAngel22 Thu 16-Jun-11 22:56:49

Missed your post Scholes34, thanks! I think we'll get a huge ruck of them from the library over summer. Thankfully we get a new teacher in Sept!

harecare Thu 16-Jun-11 23:02:32

You know her level so ask if you can help her choose one at the end of the day. If the teacher hasn't checked her level that's one thing, but if the other kids are taking books home and she's not because of this, that is another. Surely she should just be on same level as before until the teacher says she can move up rather than having no book at all.

whippet Thu 16-Jun-11 23:05:27

Putting aside any other issues you have with this teacher, I think you are getting too stressed about this.

Out of all the things a parent can do to help a child at school, reading at home is probably the most important. It sounds as if your daughter is already a good little reader.
Don't try to get more / different ORT reading books for home - there are hundreds of fantastic books in libraries/ in charity shops/ being sold as job lots on eBay....
Ask on Freecycle for suitable books for a 6-8 year old - I bet you'll be inundated...

But if you're still keen to get ORT stuff, I have a collection of 26 ORT comics for sale on eBay right now... smile

reddaisy Thu 16-Jun-11 23:12:55

I think it is a disgrace. But I do have a bee in my bonnet about reading as I think fostering an interest in and a love of reading is the single most important thing a parent/teacher can do for a child's education. She is basically ignoring your child's desire for more books/to progress herself.

Reading is the one hobby that staved off loneliness for me when I was a child as I could always immerse myself in another world.

What if your child didn't have access to more books at home? How long does it take to listen to a child read? Can't the TA do it and make sure all the children ALWAYS have at least one book on the go? Pisses me right off and I don't think you are overreacting. I would be cheeky and collect her from school tomorrow and if she still doesn't have a book for the weekend I would suggest you, your DD and the teacher sit down then and there and listen to your DD read so she can get another book.

My DD is going to find me very embarrassing when she goes to school though!!

blackeyedsusan Thu 16-Jun-11 23:16:57

the envy was from a teachers point of view..

I also think that she should be continuing on that level until the teacher sorts something out... was interuppted by ds.. sorry

RoadArt Fri 17-Jun-11 00:43:00

Teachers have different priorities in all schools, some focus more on reading and others focus more on other areas. The teachers will be assessing all the time through classroom activities, but books to be sent home might not be a priority.

At one school I went to if we got a new book once a month we were lucky, yet all my friends kids were getting different books every night. It didnt make any difference to how my chldren can read. Home reading books were never a priority with this particular school. All schools operate differently.

Some schools make your child read every single book in a level before moving you up. SOme schools recognise the childs ability and move them up after one book. SOme schools want to be sure the child fully comprehends what they read and can retell the story and answer questions. Some schools are just happy if a child has looked at a book whether they understand it or not. You can never ever compare reading levels of children amongst your friends for this very reason.

It really isnt worth getting upset and anxious, - There really is no point. There will be greater battles to fight. I would just go to a library. If you need to order them, then do so. The local librarian should be able to guide you as to which books are most suitable.

School issued books follow a set structure, to make sure new ideas are built on step by step. But there is no reason why any child cant read any and every other kind of book available.

Does the school have a library?

The other option is to ask the teacher if you can select a whole pile of books for your child to read. It is worth pointing out that schools are not obliged to provide reading books over the holiday period.

cat64 Fri 17-Jun-11 01:04:02

Message withdrawn

madwomanintheattic Fri 17-Jun-11 04:05:23

oh god, don't bother with the school books - it's fairly normal for them only to get changed once a week anyway.

get thee to the library. she can have as many as often as she wants. i've never paid any heed to school reading. once they can read it's pretty much a waste of time. they need to concentrate on the kids that can't - the ones whose mum'd aren't moaning about not changing the reading books often enough.

that said - if you want to help instead of just moan, why not voilunteer to be a reading buddy with the yr 1s next year? to have a couple of parents who take the kids out one at a time for 5 -10 minutes each for a morning is a godsend. and it's great for the kids whose parents don't bother. why not ask if that would be useful?

(do they have children with sn in the class? it's unusual to have 2 TAs for such a small group - maybe they are 1-1 LSAs rather than bog standard TA types? of course, you might not be aware...)

differentnameforthis Fri 17-Jun-11 06:35:23

I don't agree that you shouldn't stress! Well, not stress, but this is VERY important!

At the begining of yr1 my daughter was on reading books at lvl 7. She stayed there for 8mths. She got bored of reading & resented ding it at home & stopped reading her own books. I spoke to her teacher who was shocked hmm that she hadn't been tested for 8mths. Dd1 was bored with the books, hence her refusal to read.

She was tested, went to lvl 10. She changed schools & is now on lvl 23, after just 1 & a half terms (school terms are different here in Australia) and once gain is LOVING reading. She is being tested 2x a term (at least).

If your child's teacher cannot find time to listen to her, I feel there is something wrong there. I would not be happy to wait until the school yr & can't believe that anyone would be. The teacher needs to make time.

It needs to be sorted out now, and if it were me, I would tell the teacher that I would met her in class 10mins earlier/after pick up so she could listen to my child. You are your child's only advocate. If you don't do anything, it will get forgotten.

magicmummy1 Fri 17-Jun-11 07:32:12

Sorry, but I think you're being a bit precious about this. Obviously, I don't know the history with the teacher, but your dd will survive without a school reading book for a few days! And teachers are incredibly busy so won't always have time to hear an individual child read on demand!

Our local library enables children to borrow up to 20 books at a time - should be enough for a week!grin at the end of the day, she is your child, so I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to share this responsibility.

FWIW, it took quite a long while for dd's school to get her onto the right levels for her reading, and when she became a free reader, we sometimes went for several weeks without a book change, because she was the only one in the class who fell into this category. I never worried - there were plenty of other books in the world, and a keen reader will just get on with it.

emptyshell Fri 17-Jun-11 07:44:10

I'm just pissed off at all these local libraries that let kids borrow that many books - it was THREE when I was a kid. You know how long three books lasts a kid who gets to go to the library once a month and can annihilate her way through five books in an afternoon (and yes I used to)! My mum tried desperately to let them borrow more and in the end I would fill up her ticket as well as my own but three poxy little books... I'll stop ranting now!

The end of term is utter chaos by the way generally in schools - I know it's no excuse, and I always tried to make sure at least that the supply of reading books going home kept going even if sports day, assemblies, end of term events meant I hadn't got through all the readers that week - but it can take hours to hear all the kids read (although it's a wonderful small class there) - you usually end up grabbing any kid that stands still for more than 20 seconds to hear them read at some points in a busy week!

Is it worth just going in afterschool, smiling sweetly and saying "can we just pop in and change her reading book so she's got a new one for the weekend please" - I never objected to that, and if there were kids blitzing through books each night I was more than happy for them to swap them like that as long as I knew they were confident readers. I also would send a couple of books home with some of the real speedy merchants as well - I did forewarn parents that I probably wouldn't have time to hear them read a full two of the top end of the ORT books in class, but that I wanted to make sure that they had some stuff to keep reading through - since some parents have the perception that reading scheme books are the only books that "matter" - gah!

Riveninside Fri 17-Jun-11 07:46:23

ORT are boring. Read your own books at home

TheOriginalFAB Fri 17-Jun-11 07:49:10

TBH I couldn't be bothered to read all your OP as it was getting annoying.

I help in school so know a tiny bit about the teacher's day.

Year 1 children are meant to change their own books and if your child has read every book in the colour scheme she is on then move on to her reading to you from books you have at home.

What colour your child is on is such a small thing in the great scheme of things and really, it isn't worth you getting annoyed.

Bucharest Fri 17-Jun-11 07:50:10

Agree with Riveninside.

Guess what? Here the kids don't have reading books at all!

Dd (7) currently on HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

When I told dd's teacher (or tried to,she was just confused about reading schemes and levels and colours and bands and KIpper and thingy she was just blimey, don't you lot make life hard for yourselves....

Bucharest Fri 17-Jun-11 07:51:32

PS Dd is never asked to read aloud by the teacher when they are doing that, because the teacher knows she can read (IYSWIM?) So she gives the practice to the children who are less able readers.Maybe your dd's teacher is doing that?

maxybrown Fri 17-Jun-11 08:12:22

schools vary so much with this. As a TA at a school I worked at in plymouth, we had great control over the reading, but they were all heard every week and their book changed. We worked alongside the teacher and discussed when children were moved on. It was very well organised and we had some good readers at the end of it that were interested in reading.

My niece's school however - oop north, she had the same book for months, was bored senseless, yet loved reading, understood words and would ask if she did not understand and was reading harry potter at home and basic books at school. It took my sister months if not years to get the to admit they had not checked her out properly hmm

I have also come across children that are very competant readers but have no idea about what they are reading, concept etc - but we had a group read every week too and would encourage them to use different voices and discuss tricky words and their meaning.

My 3 and a half year old has severe speech delay, but from our modelling can try and repeat lines from books using diff voices as appropriate. He cannot read at all (but then he is not even at nursery yet) but loves Roald Dahl books and we often read those of an evening so I already envisage "interest" problems with biff Chip and Kipper to be honest, heck!

Celia76 Fri 17-Jun-11 08:33:59

This was exactly why we moved DS's to private school with 16 in a class. In Reception DS1s teacher read with him maybe once a term, the teaching assistant every fee weeks. Thing is I don't think it's their fault. 30 children in one class is A LOT.

FallenAngel22 Fri 17-Jun-11 10:59:37

Wow, alot of replies! I am a serial lurker on here and was loathe to post a reading thread because I know how many are on here. As I said before, it's the lack of book that bothers me most not the colour/level etc etc.

I would love to help out in her class but it's not allowed. I am about to start voluntary TA work in a local school's year 1 class for my training as I can't go into DD's school.

Having slept on it I do realise there are bigger battles to fight and yes I probably am getting wound up about something that's not that big. I think it's the other issues we've had with this teacher that cloud my view. Anyway, at pick up tonight if there is still no book in her bag I will ask the teacher if we can go into the classroom and select a few of her current level.

I have not had chance to read all your replies, will go back over them now.

The school does have a library, but books from J1 upwards only.....

whippet Fri 17-Jun-11 11:38:43

Why do people get so worked up about the school reading schemes!?

The books are just such awful, dull, stories anyway...

Much better to foster a love of books by getting her to read whichever bits she can of picture/ early reader books.

Google Year 1 reading list, and you'll get lots of ideas Like this

Seriously - ask on freecycle... People never know what to do with their toddler/ infant books, and they want them to go to a good home...

aries12 Fri 17-Jun-11 14:00:55

Hi, I just would appreciate some feedback or opinions from other Mum's in general. I am a qualified secondary teacher ( years of teaching experience)with also some experience of teaching 4 - 6 year olds and I have a 7 year old daughter myself. I have recently given up my teaching job as we have to relocate to suit my husbands career. However, I am considering going in to some kind of tuition business myself. The options are an after school tuition club for primary school children focusing on Maths and English, taking on a franchise for one of the more established tuition clubs or setting up a Spanish club for primary children. These are all areas I would feel comfortable working in. Would you as a parent consider sending your child to Spanish classes if they were available? It would consist of an hour a week with a max of 8 students (same age group) Would you send your child to extra Maths/Literacy classes if you felt your child needed them? Is there a market for this kind of tuition? Any comments/advice/experience appreciated.

betterwhenthesunshines Fri 17-Jun-11 14:09:00

If she's reading well and happily then I wouldn't worry about the teacher 'catching up'. Yes, it's annoying, but not worth getting stressed about.

I would recommend you look at Reading Chest website - it's great for a wide variety of books at the appropriate that you borrow and post back. Variable monthly fee and then posting is free. Unless you LOOOOVE ORT books you are unlikely to re-read them once you've moved on to more exciting things!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now