Talk

Advanced search

My DS's school does not have a reading scheme in Reception (F2).....

(13 Posts)
chattysue Thu 16-Jun-11 20:49:24

.... and I wondered if anyone else had experience of this and whether it affected your child's reading in Year 1?

Goblinchild Thu 16-Jun-11 20:52:55

Presumably they are working on reception and Y1 words, and giving the children real books to read. What are the reading levels like through the school?
Yes, I have come across it many times before, and if done well it works.

cleverything Thu 16-Jun-11 20:57:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chattysue Thu 16-Jun-11 20:58:20

I haven't seen much work on words when I have visited - mostly phonics ie first letter of words and their action and sounds.
I don't know what the reading levels are like through the school - although I do hear grumbles in the playground that children don't get challenging enough reading!
glad to hear that you have heard of it working well. Thanks!

mouseanon Thu 16-Jun-11 21:03:45

My DD's school didn't use reading schemes at all when she first started there. For some children it worked really well and for others not so well. Using real books did a lot more to establish an enjoyment of reading though. My DD had a slow start and then flew, but I know others struggled to get off the ground. They then introduced a reading scheme to use throughout the school, up to and including year 6, which was great for the strugglers but a bit of a nightmare for DD whose reading ability was beyond the scheme in yr 2! I'd have rather had the reading scheme to get her going in the first place, then the real books to get her teeth into once she got going. I pretty much ignore the school books now and just keep her well supplied with good books at home.

chattysue Thu 16-Jun-11 21:07:46

sorry Cleverything - I'm not sure that I understand your post. I'm happy for my son to progress along at his own pace - he genuinely does enjoy his books though!

mrz Thu 16-Jun-11 21:11:07

IMHO there needs to be a good balance between sharing real books with adults and other children and learning to decode appropriate texts independently

cleverything Thu 16-Jun-11 21:11:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrz Thu 16-Jun-11 21:15:20

cleverything reception is about meeting individual children's needs

chattysue Thu 16-Jun-11 21:23:30

mrz - I completely agree.
We have read togther with DS since he was very young and he will often choose a book and sit down to 'read' by himself. I say 'read' - he is really just enjoying the pictures!
He is ready to take the next step with his books. I think that we will begin to teach at home.
Thank you for your quick response.

chattysue Thu 16-Jun-11 21:31:56

cleverything -I understand now. When I read other posts on MN they seem to imply that reading happens in most Reception classes.
I see reading as a small part of DS's overall experience of school - I just don't want to hold him back from being able to read independently.
Like you, I hope that he always loves to pick up a book!

Seeline Fri 17-Jun-11 09:45:23

My DCs school never uses a reading scheme and end up with very good SAts and were judged outstanding at last OFSTED inspection. I think it encourages children to see reading as fun and informative rather than another boring part of school. All children take home a book to share with an adult each night - either to read themselves (as they can!) or to be read to them. It can be any book that interests them - fiction or non-fiction. They obviously do phonic work at school but not based on a reading scheme. It seems to work, my ds was reading by end of Y1 and now at Y4 has a reading age of 12 and DD was reading within a term of YR. AND they both love reading whcih IMO is more important than anything!

chattysue Fri 17-Jun-11 20:39:23

Thanks SEELINE that's reassuring to read. I agree - I always want reading to be fun - I was just unsure about whether to go at the schools pace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now